Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble getting my starter to spin the motor over. All it does it click when I push the start button. It will work intermittently. Any suggestions on what I need to do to begin fixing the issue? Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Is the battery good? What voltage does it read on an ohmmeter?

Can you confirm all grounds (earth's) are clean and have a good connection?

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
I checked your other post, Is the bike a 95 300, or 98 ?

I'm having trouble getting my starter to spin the motor over. All it does it click when I push the start button. It will work intermittently.
with a hot charged up battery, I'd be thinking starter brushes... That click your hearing is the starter silenoid

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts
I checked your other post, Is the bike a 95 300, or 98 ?

with a hot charged up battery, I'd be thinking starter brushes... That click your hearing is the starter silenoid
Certainly a possibility however, a bad (dirty/corroded) ground could have the same effect.

Also... A recently charged battery may show good voltage, it's always worth checking the voltage 6 to 12 hours after charging to give an accurate reading.

· Premium Member
4,700 Posts
Could be, a starting history would be nice to have....lol (DETAILS!!) are a must have for diagnosing online. :)

Reactions: SamUK

· Premium Member
5,072 Posts

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
loose ground ?, bad/weak battery ?..just because a battery shows 12 volts ?..DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS ENOUGH CCA TO CRANK IT OVER !. ( thats cold cranking amps for all you newbies )..lol. 12 volts is not what spins starters over ?, ITS AMPS !!. oh, and bad starter brushes will also cause your issues :).

· Premium Member
5,683 Posts
I'm having trouble getting my starter to spin the motor over. All it does it click when I push the start button. It will work intermittently. Any suggestions on what I need to do to begin fixing the issue? Thanks in advance.
Review the service manual
Take the starter off—and pull off the end cover.
if it looks like mine then you’ll need to rebuild it with a brush kit or rebuild kit. Or take it to a battery shop—sometimes they need to be turned on a lathe.
Or buy a new starter

Auto part

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.