Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a 1998 Honda fourtrax 300 and a good friend of mine just installed the ebc dirt racer clutch kit a couple weeks ago. I don’t think they are broke in yet I’ve only had time to ride it a few hours since,but when I put it in gear before it’s warmed up it moves by itself and when I brake it to a complete stop it dies. When it’s warmed up I put it into gear I have to give it a little gas or it immediately dies. I’ve adjusted the clutches if I turn it any more one way it won’t move at all if I turn it a little more the other way I always have to give it a little gas in gear if it dies. Anybody know what’s goin on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you ( or he ) soak the frictions in oil before assembling ? ---
I didn’t. He told me I was supposed to when I showed up with everything but I didn’t know this is my first 300 and I’ve never had clutches replaced on a four wheeler before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you ( or he ) soak the frictions in oil before assembling ? ---
Also he’s seen the issue first hand and couldn’t tell me what was wrong because he’s never had one do it before he has 5 Honda 300s 3 of them go on every ride he attends and other 2 parts

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Did your kit come with new heavy duty springs ? --- I have a few EBC clutches in my 300s and 450s , the heavy duty springs make it harder to shift , but no other problems , a couple of them I didn't use the heavy duty springs and like the way it shifts better ----- I have pinched a disc before during assembly , the splines didn't line up on the last disc , when that happened , it was like the clutch was engaged all the time

EBC kit for larger bikes are the same disc and frictions , but one more of each , maybe ordered the wrong kit and there is one too many in there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did your kit come with new heavy duty springs ? --- I have a few EBC clutches in my 300s and 450s , the heavy duty springs make it harder to shift , but no other problems , a couple of them I didn't use the heavy duty springs and like the way it shifts better ----- I have pinched a disc before during assembly , the splines didn't line up on the last disc , when that happened , it was like the clutch was engaged all the time

EBC kit for larger bikes are the same disc and frictions , but one more of each , maybe ordered the wrong kit and there is one too many in there
Yes it came with springs. Not sure if it’s the wrong set or not guess it’s possible I ordered off of amazon said it fit and I saw in the reviews it fit. It shifts fine it just constantly rolls in gear and if you stop it it dies

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
If the friction and disc are stuck and if they would free up after time , who knows ---- would guess you have to take it a part and see whats going on ----could be a miss alignment problem . number 14 could be out of place when the cover was reinstalled , or the clutch adjustment number 13 has threads that are rusted and not moving as far as it can

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the friction and disc are stuck and if they would free up after time , who knows ---- would guess you have to take it a part and see whats going on ----could be a miss alignment problem . number 14 could be out of place when the cover was reinstalled , or the clutch adjustment number 13 has threads that are rusted and not moving as far as it can View attachment 150568
Ok thanks! I’ll break it back down and see what’s going on.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
Yes it came with springs. Not sure if it’s the wrong set or not guess it’s possible I ordered off of amazon said it fit and I saw in the reviews it fit. It shifts fine it just constantly rolls in gear and if you stop it it dies
just because it said it fits ?..DOES NOT MEAN IT IS CORRECT !!! SPEC WHEN BUYING FROM AMAZON !!!, amazon sells nothing but china junk !!!!.

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
if you can even use these parts ?, its best to try adjusting the clutch, it sounds like ( from your post above ^^ ) you did not adjust the clutch correctly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Someone clue me in here. Does this have a manual clutch or centrifugal?

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
OK. Aren't his problems with the centrifugal clutch? All this talk about soaking the plates in oil would lead me to believe it was the shift clutch that received the new parts.

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Being it was mentioned in the first sentence , that a EBC racer clutch kit was installed , would lead me to believe , it is the change clutch that was changed and not the centrifugal clutch ----- let me read back , maybe I did a drive by

·
Registered
313 Posts
The change clutch doesn't come in to play until the centrifugal clutch is engaged. IIRC, the cent. clutch must come off to access the change clutch. Please correct me if I am wrong....for the millionth time. If by chance I am right, I think I know what happened. The clutch weights in the cent. clutch can go in two ways. I these parts may be in common for two different models each turning opposite directions. I these weights were installed backwards.....

·
Super Moderator
38,511 Posts
The change clutch doesn't come in to play until the centrifugal clutch is engaged. IIRC, the cent. clutch must come off to access the change clutch. Please correct me if I am wrong....for the millionth time. If by chance I am right, I think I know what happened. The clutch weights in the cent. clutch can go in two ways. I these parts may be in common for two different models each turning opposite directions. I these weights were installed backwards.....
[/QUOTE
i have never installed centrifugal weights backwards ?, not sure what the effect would be ?, but what i do know is, this is a change clutch issue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I bought my barn find 95 the change clutches were stuck and it didn't effect anything until the centrifugal clutch engaged. I noticed a clutchless shift right away and that if the shift lever was pushed or lifted the shift clutch remained engaged. I easily got it to break loose by pulling up the lever in high gear and applying full throttle. It's been fine since.

Putting the cent clutch weights in backwards would cause the clutch to remain engaged once the engagement speed was reached and not retracting until the engine was shut off. These normally trail and if reversed would bite and not release.

When I torn down my 98 parts bike I noted a different 3 digit number on each side of the weights. I made note of this and which number was facing out.

If the OP does tear his bike down I will gladly get up in the attic and find those notes.

·
Premium Member
12,596 Posts
Bawg'daddy -- The green glow lights in you pic are cool , you got a better pic of the atv to share ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts