Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I'll start off by telling the story of this machine. I bought the quad off a farmer that said the top end was shot on it. So I took it home and pulled the engine out and removed the top end and found the cylinder was scored. The quad had 9000 km on it. Since the engine was out I decided to remove the front cover and replace the timing chain since they are known to stretch. So everything went smooth doing that and went back together good. So I rebuilt the top end now and put it back together now and starts and runs great. I shift it into first and it jumps forward a bit and then nothing happens when you rev it up more?. The quad does roll and I did re adjust the clutch. Are the clutches known to wear out ? Could've I installed something wrong while putting them back in? Any help please. And it is also a ES model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
odd's are, you did not adjust the clutch correctly.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
odd's are, you did not adjust the clutch correctly.

I went counter clockwise so moving the adjuster screw out a tip restaince was felt then 1/4 turn in?

ok, did you double check to make sure you installed everything back in right ?. were the friction plates checked to see if they were worn out ?.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything looked like it went in proper . I did not check the friction plates. How do you check those? I am a industrial engine mechanic so the atv transmission is new to me

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Regular oil will make them too slick. if they were worn they could also be slick. I'm thinking take a look at the manual under the clutch section you may have to pull the clutch again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regular oil will make them too slick. if they were worn they could also be slick. I'm thinking take a look at the manual under the clutch section you may have to pull the clutch again

I did look at the manual earlier. I am curious if the Honda clutches do wear out usually?. I don't know what I could have installed wrong cause it shifts into first good and I just unbolted the clutches and left them whole while removing them

·
Registered
324 Posts
Were you able to drive it prior to tearing it down? Did it function correctly prior? If so, something is different from what you did. If not, who knows? Perhaps it previously had auto oil put in it, and the clutches are ruined from it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Were you able to drive it prior to tearing it down? Did it function correctly prior? If so, something is different from what you did. If not, who knows? Perhaps it previously had auto oil put in it, and the clutches are ruined from it.
I am with Hodge, what do you know about the unit prior to tear down?

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Yes, the clutches do wear out. The friction disks get thin, glazed or too slippery from the wrong oil. The steels get warped and blued from overheating.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was the quad would not start due to no compression when I bought it so I had no way of knowing if it moved then

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was the quad would not start due to no compression when I bought it so I had no way of knowing if it moved then

That's very helpful. The condition may have already been there, and have nothing to do with the work you performed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes that's what I am thinking. Is there a base adjustment for the adjustment screw when you reinstall the front cover? I just put the cover back on and never adjusted it until after start up when I was having issues

1 - 15 of 15 Posts