Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 trx300fw. It started one day running down the road, It burnt out the battery and blew the main fuse. I did as much trouble shooting as possible. Took it to the local dealer. They replaced the cdi and said it was fixed but putting out too much voltage, bad rectifer/ regulator. So I replaced with an aftermarket. It idled fine and putts around the yard but once I would open it up down the road it burnt out the cdi. I returned it to dealer. They did all the testing they could do and couldn't figure out the problem... It seems the aftermarket cdi's don't work, they claim its the same part# replacement. I'm left to just throwing parts at it. I replaced the stator and pulse generator in engine, even though the dealer said they tested fine. He even said the wiring tested ok. Need some help on this one. I've been reading up as much as i can find on internet. Even Honda is stumped.

·
Premium Member
4,696 Posts
Aftermarket bad; must use OEM Honda parts.
I would think the rectified and stator are good starts—charging system. Examine all wires for cuts/breaks. Do you have a multimeter and service manual?
Download from link in my sig block

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Sounds to me like a faulty aftermarket regulator. I would replace it with a genuine OEM and go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts