Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first time posting a thread so try to bear with me. I recently went through the motor on my honda recon and it fired up and ran perfect but when I used the kill switch with my thumb on the end of the handlebar and now I can not get anything out of the atv. If you slide the kill switch back and fourth quickly it will try to fire and act like its trying to crank but will not even if its set to the run position. I disassembled the kill switch to just the two wires and i can touch them together or have them not touching and I cant get anything, but if i touch the wires together for not even a second then move them back and fourth quickly the atv will try to crank but wont run and carry an idle. Any ideas?

Thanks for your time and like I said this is my first thread so bear with me lol.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. the kill switch should not have any wires tied together. when you move the switch to either side ?, your grounding the spark plug coil. the prob may be your starter solenoid ( which could mean no power to the start button ? ), or no power through the ignition switch ?.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the forums. the kill switch should not have any wires tied together. when you move the switch to either side ?, your grounding the spark plug coil. the prob may be your starter solenoid ( which could mean no power to the start button ? ), or no power through the ignition switch ?.
The wires that were connected to that kill switch was a solid green wire and a solid black with white stripe. The switch was removed. I was also using the a battery and jumping the solenoid to turn the fourwheeler over so i think the solenoid is good.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
The wires that were connected to that kill switch was a solid green wire and a solid black with white stripe. The switch was removed. I was also using the a battery and jumping the solenoid to turn the fourwheeler over so i think the solenoid is good.
once those wires are touched together ?, you ground the spark plug coil ?, so this means you won't get fire to the spark plug. you need to have a neutral light on, on the dash, if not neutral light ?, the spark plug will again, not fire ?, as this is a safety feature Honda built into their atvs for many years.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Believe or know? Check all grounds, battery, engine, frame. The best way is to take them off clean them and reattach. I like to use battery terminal protection spray for connections that are bolted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked the coil and it was only pushing out .5 ohms and I am not sure how much it should have but the plug is still getting fire. So not sure what to check next?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe or know? Check all grounds, battery, engine, frame. The best way is to take them off clean them and reattach. I like to use battery terminal protection spray for connections that are bolted.
Thanks, will check and clean those first thing tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Checked the coil and it was only pushing out .5 ohms and I am not sure how much it should have but the plug is still getting fire. So not sure what to check next?
if your getting fire ?, then your timing is off ?, compression is low ?, or no fuel is reaching intake ?. spray some starting fluid in the back of the carb when cranking it over, just a small short burst !!!, if it does not fire over from this ?, then you have timing issues ?, or compression issues ?.

·
Registered
366 Posts
It's really hard to trouble shoot over the internet, fuel, spark, mechanical problems are the main areas to look at.
Shadetree is pointing you in the right direction, be careful not to over use to starting fluid as it will wash the lubrication from your cylinder and cause damage.

You stated that, "I recently went through the motor on my honda recon", What did you do?
We could be telling you things that you've already looked at or maybe not telling you something you should have.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you pull the engine. Kinda sounds like you routed a wire wrong or switched two wires and a wire got pinched or melted. Maybe I missed it, does it turn over at all?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts