Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil temp light on my 97 honda foreman 400 4x4 turns on immediately when I start the motor, and it sometimes turns off and it sometimes doesn't. I pick rocks with it during the hot summer days and sometimes the fan turns on but i feel like it doesn't do it enough. My question is, where is the oil temp sensor located and how do I test it, also how do you test the fan. Thanks

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
welcome to the forums. the oil temp sensor is in the rear lower engine case, one wire attaches to the case. the service manual tells you how to test it. as for the fan ?, unplug it from the wire harness, run some power from a 12 volt dc battery hooked to the fan plug side, it should kick on. or, you ca unplug the oil temp wire, turn key on, touch the wire to the engine, if the fan is good ?, it will come on when you do this. from what you posted ^^^, it sounds like your oil temp sensor is going out. you will need to drain the motor oil to replace it, or jack the back end up really high to get the sensor out, without losing oil.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Replaced the oil temp sensor and the wire connecting to it and it fixed the problem. Thankyou
your very welcome, and thank you for the update !!. most never come back to tell us if what we told them fixed the problem ?!, lol. again, thanks for the update !.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.