Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old 1996 Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax that refuses to stay running without a battery, the starter doesnt work so i have to kick start it, but it will kick start on the first try only if its on a jumper cable connected to a battery, but as soon as the battery is disconnected it dies instantly. These model ATV's arent supposed to have a EFI system because Ive had another fourtrax that ran without a battery for years, Am I right to assume the culprit might just be the voltage regulator?

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
first, welcome to the forums, second; DO NOT RUN THEM WITHOUT A BATTERY !. third, your prob right about the reg/rec ?, because now that you have been running it without a battery ?, more than likely you burnt the reg/rec up ?, or the stator ?, OR BOTH !. this is why you NEVER RUN THEM WITHOUT A BATTERY ! :). and no, they do not have electronic fuel injection on these models.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first, welcome to the forums, second; DO NOT RUN THEM WITHOUT A BATTERY !. third, your prob right about the reg/rec ?, because now that you have been running it without a battery ?, more than likely you burnt the reg/rec up ?, or the stator ?, OR BOTH !. this is why you NEVER RUN THEM WITHOUT A BATTERY ! :). and no, they do not have electronic fuel injection on these models.
I have never ran my new fourtrax without a battery, It was stored all year and the battery that was in it was dead, but I didnt charge it and tried to start it up with the kick start, because i had another fourtrax years ago that i ran without a battery just fine, i thought it was really weird how the new fourtrax i got didnt wanna start without jumpers. I also tried tying the pos and ground battery terminals together to complete the circuit, still wont start, the stator is less likely to be bad, so what your opinion, new cdi or voltage regulator? or both?

· Premium Member
38,589 Posts
I have never ran my new fourtrax without a battery, It was stored all year and the battery that was in it was dead, but I didnt charge it and tried to start it up with the kick start, because i had another fourtrax years ago that i ran without a battery just fine, i thought it was really weird how the new fourtrax i got didnt wanna start without jumpers. I also tried tying the pos and ground battery terminals together to complete the circuit, still wont start, the stator is less likely to be bad, so what your opinion, new cdi or voltage regulator? or both?
first start with a fresh/fully charged battery, then read through this ---> http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forum...ush-button-only-hear-clicking-noise-read.html . then run a ohm test on your stator.

· Registered
3 Posts
I have an old 1996 Honda TRX 300 Fourtrax that refuses to stay running without a battery, the starter doesnt work so i have to kick start it, but it will kick start on the first try only if its on a jumper cable connected to a battery, but as soon as the battery is disconnected it dies instantly. These model ATV's arent supposed to have a EFI system because Ive had another fourtrax that ran without a battery for years, Am I right to assume the culprit might just be the voltage regulator?
It's best to have the battery hooked up even if dead it will complete and if it surges the dead battery will keep regulator protected...i rode my 250es Big Red for years with dead battery never had one problem cu I kept the old dead battery hooked up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.