Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got a 1996 fourtrax 300 honda. Recently installed new starter which works fine. Installed new solenoid and when i hooked battery cable to battery one of the signals wires started to smoke. Burnt it up pretty good. So yeah i think i fried it somehow or it was just bad solenoid. One of those cheaper ones off ebay.
Question is there suppose to power on the lg/r wire going to solenoid when you are in gear. no power there if im in neutral. It that how that works or is something else wrong dont wont to fry another one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also there is power on both wires going to diode and the lg/r going to solenoid without the key being on is this right?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Sounds like cheap china garbage claimed another victim. You'll need to buy an OEM Honda solenoid, either new or used, that plugs into the existing unmolested wiring harness before you can continue. You can get a copy of the service manual HERE to use for troubleshooting and reference.

Have fun! Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah china got me on that one. Wiring harness is good with original plug. Whats getting me is that the lg/r wire going to solenoid has power on it when in gear. I thought this was always ground wire. And looking at wiring diagram seems to me theres no way for power to be on that wire. The starter would engage when you put it in gear i would think. but im just not for sure how it works. IF anybody has one and could test that for me that would be great. Lg/r wire going to solenoid has no power when in neutral which seems right then shift in gear and have power on LG/R wire. Is this correct? Cause it seems wrong to me

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
also there is power on both wires going to diode and the lg/r going to solenoid without the key being on is this right?
There should be no power to the Lg/R wire at the solenoid plug with the ignition switch off. Did you buy this 300 with this problem? I'm wondering if someone swapped in the wrong (or china made) Ign switch and/or the wrong handlebar switches (where the kill switch and starter switch are) assembly?

I'd start with checking for continuity through the Ign switch and starter switch after unplugging them both from the harness. If any of those plugs look like they've been altered/hacked on, thar' may be your dragon...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: If you have the key on and the bike is in gear you will read close to 12 volts there (Lg/R) -- because you are reading the voltage across the solenoid coil. You will have no voltage there with key on and the Neutral switch made -- because the Neutral switch is pulling the Lg/R wire to ground.

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
There should be no power to the Lg/R wire at the solenoid plug with the ignition switch off. Did you buy this 300 with this problem? I'm wondering if someone swapped in the wrong (or china made) Ign switch and/or the wrong handlebar switches (where the kill switch and starter switch are) assembly?

I'd start with checking for continuity through the Ign switch and starter switch after unplugging them both from the harness. If any of those plugs look like they've been altered/hacked on, thar' may be your dragon...
Hi Reto: Your post is correct -- with the key off -- should be no power on Lg/R.
I am referring to the way it should read.

Reactions: retro
1 - 8 of 8 Posts