Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys i know this has probably been posted a few times before by others but i have a slow internet connection and searching takes quite some time :unsure:

Basically i'll be putting new tyres on my 300 pretty soon when it gets its overhaul, i was just wondering what size would you guys go front and back? Also what size was stock to this bike as im unsure?

I know a few of you on have 300's so i'd like a little advice please. Also what size's are stock size as im unsure.

Thanks guys, Ryan.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Hi guys i know this has probably been posted a few times before by others but i have a slow internet connection and searching takes quite some time :unsure:

Basically i'll be putting new tyres on my 300 pretty soon when it gets its overhaul, i was just wondering what size would you guys go front and back? Also what size was stock to this bike as im unsure?

I know a few of you on have 300's so i'd like a little advice please. Also what size's are stock size as im unsure.

Thanks guys, Ryan.
are you asking for the honda 300..and the honda big red ?..or just the honda 300 ?..most of the honda 300's used 24x9x11..but..if you can..go to bikebandit.com..look up your bike..go to the wheels area..it should show you what stock tires and rims fit your year/make...they change the tire size alot through the years..spec from a 2 wheel drive..to a 4 wheel drive..soo..look your year/make up at bikebandit.com..it should tell you what you need to know :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry in the Uk/Ireland your 300 4x4 Fourtrax are known as Big Reds. I was think about putting 24x9x11 on the front and 25x10x11 on the rears. What would your opinion be? I want the arch to look a little fuller and the quad a little bigger.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Sorry in the Uk/Ireland your 300 4x4 Fourtrax are known as Big Reds. I was think about putting 24x9x11 on the front and 25x10x11 on the rears. What would your opinion be? I want the arch to look a little fuller and the quad a little bigger.
lol..well..here in the states..the big red is also known as a side by side..and the early models are 3 wheelers..anyway..24x9x11 is ok on the front..you can put 25x10x11 on the back if you want..as long as you stay with the same rim size and bolt pattern on the back..you should be fine.if your 300 is a 4x4..most people run the same size tire all the way around..but..that's up to you..if you want to put the 25x10x11 on the back..you should be ok..just make sure you got plenty of clearance for your fenders..you don't want your tires hitting the plastic fenders if and when you bottom out.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I wouldn't run the same size tire all the way round on a 300, because they have a transfer case. The rear tire should be 1 in taller than the front tire, no matter what size you go with. I believe the 24X9X11 on the front and 25X10X11 would be fine. That's what the transfer case does, is to make up the difference in gearing between the two different tire sizes.

Shadetree, your 350 Foreman doesn't have a transfer case, so all 4 of your tires should be the same size in height.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
I wouldn't run the same size tire all the way round on a 300, because they have a transfer case. The rear tire should be 1 in taller than the front tire, no matter what size you go with. I believe the 24X9X11 on the front and 25X10X11 would be fine. That's what the transfer case does, is to make up the difference in gearing between the two different tire sizes.

Shadetree, your 350 Foreman doesn't have a transfer case, so all 4 of your tires should be the same size in height.
yeah..your right..i didn't even think about me not having a transfer case..my bad..lol.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
just checked out the fech on bikebandit.com..if he gave us the correct year and model..and i went by this..lol..the stock tires for the back are 24x9x11...and the front tire size is 23x8x11..soo..your right helmut.they do run different on those.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
just checked out the fech on bikebandit.com..if he gave us the correct year and model..and i went by this..lol..the stock tires for the back are 24x9x11...and the front tire size is 23x8x11..soo..your right helmut.they do run different on those.
Yep, that's why they have a transfer case. One of my friends used to have a 350 Foreman like you have and he tried to run different size tires on it, because he already had some and he didn't want to have to buy some more. I told him that it wasn't a good ideal. Not long after that, he called me and told me it was making a grinding noise in the front end. I went and checked it out and the bearing on the driveshaft was bad. The bearing that is located on the driveshaft where the driveshaft goes through by the front fender. I would say that that is what caused it to go bad. Too much strain on it.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
when i had mine all apart...and i mean apart...lol...as i went from piece to piece..i checked all my bearings..seals..ring gears..pinion gear..you name it..it all checked out good..i did how ever repack the bearings with new high temp grease...the only thing i seen that i didnt like..was the front sway arm had been welded where the drive shaft goes from the motor to the front diff..and i mean a big weld..as if who ever had it before me..looks like they broke the drive shaft right through the sway arm...and i'm kinda leary of it..because when i roll it back and forth..it makes a weird sound, nothing big ..just kinda odd...soooo..when i ever get done with everything..and get to test ride it..i'll know for sure if it's going to be a problem..and if it is..i'll have to tear the front sway arm off..and have a look..lol..i've got a back up parts bike that has a much better front sway arm if i need it..but..i'm going to wait until i test ride it..too see what kinda problems it gives me..if any.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
This is the bearing that went out on my buddy's 350 Foreman. #8 in the diagram below. It let the driveshaft move up and down. I believe the different size tires caused it, because it wouldn't long after he put the tires on that it started making that noise and then the bearing went out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts