Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had this unit since brand new. Looking here to see if there are any ways / eqpt. etc to
  • raise ground clearance
  • improve ride. Not wore out but after 25 yrs could afford replacements
  • larger tires yet maintain proper gear ratio
  • other mods to contemplate w/o breaking the back
  • unit is in original (unmodifed) condition with normal usage.
Unit still has factory original knobby tires on it. Not wore out but after 25 yrs could afford replacements.

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
Maybe find yourself a Genie's Lamp , rub it 3 times and make a few wishes cause everything you ask for don't exist :
You looking to raise ground clearance with bigger tires while maintaining the proper gear ratio and improve ride all while not break the back , you wrote back , figure you might have meant bank , typo or not either way same results , it is going to break your back and bank

go from 25 to 26s and get a 1/2 inch more of ground clearance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Genie lamp would be good......

Point of clarification for ME. I gather by your come back that their is NO difference in the gearing from the front end to the rear end (as long as tire circumference is the same front & rear)?
As far as improving the ride it could not be any worse...

Larger tires would help with ground clearance. Inflation pressure is a ride factor to some extent. And yes a typo
after a life in construction I have fat fingers!

As Summer gets closer will add some larger tires and go from there. I thought perhaps there were some suspension
changes / modifications to consider.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Genie lamp would be good......

Point of clarification for ME. I gather by your come back that their is NO difference in the gearing from the front end to the rear end (as long as tire circumference is the same front & rear)?
As far as improving the ride it could not be any worse...

Larger tires would help with ground clearance. Inflation pressure is a ride factor to some extent. And yes a typo
after a life in construction I have fat fingers!

As Summer gets closer will add some larger tires and go from there. I thought perhaps there were some suspension
changes / modifications to consider.

Thanks.
Good questions andglad to see you’ve maintained a popular machine in stock condition. I enjoy all five of my TRX300 in stock condition—they are nimble, reliable and go where i need to go quickly.
BTW larger tires will affect gear ratio. You’re going to go slower and lose horsepower in upper gears.

gear reduction kits are available but they would break my bank I’m not interested in doing that but others have. They can tell ya costs.

Have to ask yourself Why you need more clearance?

I don’t know if there are better shock packages but I’d be interested to hear about those too

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
As far as ground clearance goes , you will only get 1/2 inch extra ground clearance for every inch increase in tire size , the stock rear were 25s , some hard core stockers will tell you the biggest tire you could run without gear reduction is a 26 , a 27 will barely fit under the fenders without a lift or need for gear reduction , even at 27 , that is only 1 inch extra ground clearance , but every little bit helps ----- you can run the same size tire all the way around with no problems and I would recommend doing it , even though the gear ratio from front to back on a 4wd 300 is a point off , it won't cause no problems , I know the front tires of a stock 300 are 24 and the rear is 25 , personally feel it was done that way for better steering and not needed for the gearing compensation , you can run the same size tire all the way around ----as far as a lift goes , longer shocks or shock extension blocks can lift it 2 inches max , but it will ride rougher as at 2 inches you are pushing the a-arms down as far as they can go , it is like riding a goat bareback ----a reduction can cost $450 up ----check out atvhonda.com , lots of 300 guys over there including myself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts