Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I having trouble with my Electric Start. When i push the start button all i get is a click from the solenoid. If i use the kickstart but don't let it fully start, just turn the motor a little, the Electric Start will work, but only once. If it fails to start the first try and i let off the button then push it again, i get the clicking noise again. The solenoid is brand new, my battery wouldn't hold a charge so that is also new. So the only way i can get the Electric Start to work is by kicking the kick start a little bit but i have no idea what that is doing to allow the Electric Start to work. Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
JPM: You say your battery is new. Hmmmm. You definately do not have enough current from your battery to turn over the starter. I wonder if your atv is charging your battery properly?? Do you have a volt meter? If so, put the meter on DC volts, start your engine, and measure the voltage at the battery. (The atv should be at a pretty fast idle when you measure the voltage). The voltage with the engine running should be at least 13.8 VDC. If it isn't, then there might be a problem with your stator (which provides the charging voltage). Can you also tell me if the brightness of your lights changes when you increase/decrease the rpms of your engine?
Also, please look into getting a Battery Tender. It is a battery charger/maintainer which will ensure that whenever you go to start your engine, you will have a good battery. A Battery Tender will also extend the life of your battery. You can get them from Amazon.com for less than $25! Also, check your battery voltage after it has been a while (an hour or so) since your engine has been on. It should be at least 12.8VDC . Let me/us know what you find with your voltages.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Multimeter im using. Im getting 12.7 volts from the battery. When i run it with the choke on or off the lights stay just as bright, no dimming. When its running i get 12.7 volts from the battery with the lights on, and like 13.5 when i turn the lights off. Theres gotta be enough voltage from the battery to turn the starter, but i have to use the kick start most times and turn the engine a little before the electric start will work. I have no idea what that is doing as far as allowing the Electric Start to Work. I thought a new battery would solve the problem but after installing a new battery is when i posted this on the forum. Just trying it right now and i didn't have to kick it over to allow the Electric Start to Work, but most times i need to kick it. As far as the stator, where is that located exactly and can it be tested. I was kinda thinking the starter might be going but im not sure. On another note this fourwheeler with not run properly without the choke on. When you hit the throttle it bogs down or will quit no matter long how its been warmed up. The carb is brand new also so im guessing it must need to be cleaned?

·
Registered
955 Posts
You either have a bad starter or not enough power to trun it. They are asking about the voltage and battery condition because you may have plenty of volts coming out of the battery, but not enough amperage to turn the starter. This would be because of a dead cell or old battery. You can take the battery to a auto parts store and they will usually test it for free just to make sure it is okay. It seems your battery and charging system are working well, so I'm leaning towards a faulty starter as the problem. Double check the wiring too and make sure all your grounds are clean and tight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just tapped the starter with a hammer and the Electric Start Worked! It must be a bad starter then.

·
Registered
251 Posts
These starters are simple to fix when they fail like this. Mine required the slightest tap to get working. I can't remember the exact steps top remove the starter but you'll figure that out. Once off, pull the end off to get to the brushes. Clean the brush area with a blow gun and make sure the brushes slide freely. Take some scotchbrite to the commutator only lightly to remove any heavy carbon. Remember...Lightly clean it. I can't remember just how the brushes were held away during assembly but I do recall it was a super easy to figure out fix. The problem was the brush dragging in the holder IIRC. I did mine about a month/100 starts ago and it still works just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the starters can be cleaned up? How do i tell if it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
251 Posts
So the starters can be cleaned up? How do i tell if it needs to be replaced?
My plan was to open the starter up for a look-see. I figured the commutator could be too burnt to salvage or there could be a few open windings on the armature and that should be about the only major problems causing the intermittant operation. Well, my plan worked. Do please remember to remove the - battery terminal before you remove any other wires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just pulled the starter, took it apart and some black stuff came out of. I don't know what is what inside or what to clean so im putting it back on. Now i can't get it back in the fourwheeler. Do you pull the outside cover when you pull the starter? I just can't seam to get the gears to lign up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nevermind, just got it back together! It seams to be working Fine now. Must have been that "black stuff" in there causing problems. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
yes, the gear cover must be pulled and a few gears removed. Put the started back on and then the gears. Just make sure you orient the gears the same as they were.

Sorry, didn't go to the last page and see that you got it fixed. Good for you!

That black dust is carbon from the brushes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I try to engage the starter, all it does is click. My battery is fully charged. What should I do to begin correcting the problem?

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
When I try to engage the starter, all it does is click. My battery is fully charged. What should I do to begin correcting the problem?
Roger that please start a new thread and tell us if you’ve cleaned all the starter connections with contact cleaner and Permatex dielectric grease.

·
Super Moderator
5,031 Posts
As the guys above have said, start your own thread.
I'll commend you for finding a thread related to your issue, most new members chime in on any post..!!
Welcome to the forum :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts