Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and am looking for some help, I just rebuilt my 93 TRX300EX and need some help with the timing, I followed what my manual said to set the crank to TDC and then put the cam sprocket in and insert the can shaft lobes down, so far so good, my question is after I get my timing marks lined up even with the top of the head like it says to and make sure I'm still TDC and then add the tension to the chain it moves my cam shaft about the distance of one tooth off one direction or the other (front or back of motor), and no matter which way to try to compensate it still doesn't end up right, so does it matter if the timing marks are EXACTLY right after tension has been put on the chain, or what could be my problem, anything would be greatly appreciated, need it to be running by end of May

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Weird, as long as you follow the manual and have it top dead center and the timing marks on and stuff it should be good. I don't know everything, but if we get some people on here that are familiar with different things I assure you that you could get an answer! But stick around, someone will pop-up somewhere.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
After tension is put on the chain crank the motor over with no spark plug and make sure there is no piston to valve contact. if it clears it should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
timing

i have a 1991 honda 300 4x4 i just put in new ho pho valve in and ho pho valve ex . i need know how to time it and it haves 2 lines one with 2 dots and the other just a line.need help bad its giveing me a headack.thanks. can some one email me a digraham on it thanks [email protected]

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i have a 1991 honda 300 4x4 i just put in new ho pho valve in and ho pho valve ex . i need know how to time it and it haves 2 lines one with 2 dots and the other just a line.need help bad its giveing me a headack.thanks. can some one email me a digraham on it thanks [email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Is it a brand new timing chain? Because if not you may have a slightly stretched chain. Or possibly a bad chain tensioner. But if it sits perfect at the top of the motor i would run it. Mine is about one tooth off and it runs perfect. If yours is dead on it will probably run even better.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
U know what i read it wrong. You would be running it the exaxt same way i run mine and its fine. Mine with tension sits one tooth off and runs perfect. Put it back togeather and run it. You will be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts