Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start saying I have fixed a thousand small engines... but this thing is a demon from hell. I bought this at an auction for my daughter for $50. Got it home..cleaned it up---NO SPARK.. Ok..no big deal..poked around--all was ok.. so I swapped out the CDI and the COIL with NEW ones. Fired right up and ran like a top. I drove it around the house a few times..made sure all was ok... then shut it off and went to get my daughter to test it out. When she came out--no start and NO SPARK! Took it in the garage and checked all the wires (especially the ground) but still no spark! It was then I decided to switch out the stator...as the pickup looked dirty and worn. Switched it out---no spark. Dammit! Went to ebay ...got another new coil and cdi--hey spark! Put it all back together again---NO SPARK! WTF!?!?!?!? Took it apart again... still no spark. Rechecked all wires for connections--perfect. Then it sat 3 months while I thought of setting it on fire and easing my pain. Instead.. I ordered a new coil and CDI...and carefully put it together paying attention to every detail. No spark. Everything looks perfect...I am NOT buying any more cdi or coils for it.... but wonder about a stator pickup <again> and also wonder if something can go wrong with the flywheel that would cause this? The key in the flywheel is good...I am frustrated...and the kicker is I just want it running to sell it....as I am getting her a new 300 for her birthday next month.. can anyone help me...or refer me to someone in Minn that can? I will not go to a dealer, thanks

·
Premium Member
7,533 Posts
Was the kill switch on and the key switch? One of them could be bad or grounded. Welcome to the forums. I have a 97 trx 90 for my son They are a fun little ride.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Agree^^^ Disconnect the keyswitch and bypass the wires, try that then move to the slide swich on the bars they are notorious for corrosion and also breaking.

Welcome to the forums...Where are you located? I am looking for a 90 for my 9 year old

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Sounds like a short in the on /off switch on the handle bars, take in apart and check that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention... both the key switch and the kill switch were the first thing disconnected. To me it has the feel of a bad ground...but Ive tried grounding it in several locations. It also seems like I should find a broken wire....but nothing. I am BEYOND frustrated. I miss the days of points and condensors when this happens.

Thanks for the welcome...maybe I can help out someone with the knowledge I have. And as for me...well...I have always owned hondas---but I got sold on a new can am max last year...

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
oh... I am just north on minn/st paul...
You live about an hour or so from my mother in Souix Fall SD i know its COLD up there!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts