Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 TRX300FW - stored in a shed, ran fine last time out 2 months ago - when you turn it on the oil light comes, then goes off like normal - green neutral light and red reverse light do not light up - pushing starter button does nothing - kick starts and runs great - screw driver across solenoid and it cranks and starts right up - the wires to neutral and reverse on lower right side behind plate looked fine with no corrosion

Any ideas on tests to find root cause?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This happend to my 400ex. It was the wires on the lower right side not getting the proper connection. Touch the neutral one on metal and it should fire up and the light should come on. Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean it will start up again and be fine. Just replace the wire but from now on what I did is I took the bolt off my case and pinched the metal adapter so i wouldn’t have to mess with it. Also if you do this method the light will always stay green. This is at least for my 400ex but it sounds like the same exact problem with your 300 as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I unplugged the neutral safety and reverse wires from the switches and put a wire in neutral side wire and touched it to a few bolts on engine with key on and the light does not light up.
So no neutral light and no reverse light when in reverse with engine running.

The wires look fine going to main harness too.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After further review the reverse and neutral wires were broken and the oil sensor was barely hanging on. As I was troubleshooting more and unhooking the wires at the connector between the air box and gas tank, it was tight and the oil sensor wire was stiffer that the other 2 wires. I just happened to pull the neutral wire all by itself and it was completely loose. Upon further review of the wires and sheathing, the reverse and neutral were broken and blue wire to oil sensor was damaged. I guess at some point a decent sized stick must have come up and hit it and then they finally broke all the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts