Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was hoping someone could help me find any info on a Honda TRX350 I just bought.
I am having spark issues, and for some reason i can't find anything that resembles my quad online anywhere except the 1986 is the closest looking one i can find.

It has a gray seat with 350 on it. It's all red except the snap on air ducts are gray as well.

On the tag below the fan it says 1992 model made in Japan, but my friend that i got it off says he was told at the Honda shop it was made in the USA?

I am stumped as i cant find any info when i type Honda TRX or fourtrax 1992 into google.

Gona need to get a stator or CDI for it, cant do that if i dont even know what I have, I am a noob at electronics so any help there would be great too, I got 0.5 with a oms test and according to a vid i seen that is good?

Thanks for any help, am looking to sell it when i can get it running and cleaned up. Can add pics if needed.
Scott.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Download the service manual In my signature block below
TRX350 Foreman—your year should use all parts on the 88-89 model.
check parts links at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla

no spark? Check ignition diagnostics
After you’ve have a good look over for disconnected wires.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
If you suspect the CDI possibly you can revive it by heating it.
I put them in an oven connector side up.
200F no more—for at least three hours.
Let cool completely before you reinstall

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Needs a lil work but looks pretty complete.

these were made in Japan. The VIN should start out JH3.

the TRX350 was imported to the US and Canada from 86-89. in 1990 the US began manufacturing TRX300, so TRX350s were not imported to the US. But obviously they were imported to Canada. Oddly, you don’t see service manuals or parts listed for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Needs a lil work but looks pretty complete.

these were made in Japan. The VIN should start out JH3.

the TRX350 was imported to the US and Canada from 86-89. in 1990 the US began manufacturing TRX300, so TRX350s were not imported to the US. But obviously they were imported to Canada. Oddly, you don’t see service manuals or parts listed for them.
Yes it does start with JH3, My friend has the other parts that are missing, he just has to dig them out.

After further looking i did find one close to this one, 1991 though.

Thanks for the info all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I posted yesterday but it is awaiting moderator approval, anyways i found one simular but it's a 1991. Has gray seat and vent's like mine, So tracked down a CDI for it on ebay i think, it looks simular but the last 3 numbers are differnt on it, cheap enough so i got it anyways, will let you guys know if it works.

Am now heating this one up like suggested.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Go to Rocky Mountain atv or Partzilla
and use OEM parts link. You can view parts diagrams, verify part numbers and buy parts if they stock the ones you need. Some of these parts are No Longer Available from Honda, but if you know the part number you can search other dealers like Bike Bandit, fleabay, CMSL and others.
CDI is in the wiring harness IPB.
Sometimes you can find parts machines too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to Rocky Mountain atv or Partzilla
and use OEM parts link. You can view parts diagrams, verify part numbers and buy parts if they stock the ones you need. Some of these parts are No Longer Available from Honda, but if you know the part number you can search other dealers like Bike Bandit, fleabay, CMSL and others.
CDI is in the wiring harness IPB.
Sometimes you can find parts machines too.
Thank you. I got the book that came with it now to as well as the other parts so that should help.

Heated CDI din't work, worth a try though.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When switching on, your neutral light should be on steady and the oil light should come on momentarily and then go out
Thanks Goober. Ya it does that, as for the heated CDI I should have re read what you said, i didn't let it cool down before trying last night, will check it cold today again.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
This quad was a non runner when you got it? Can you see if the PO messed with the wires?
You have a good battery in it?
It appears to have the original ignition key/harness that’s good.
when you turn it over can you hear the fuel pump cycle? Brrt brrt.
When you back off the carb bowl drain screw does fuel leak out?

Reading the service manual, the Revolution Research Line notes should apply. Spark from battery, pulse generator has to ohm good, firing pulse amplified by CDI and stepped thru coil.

number of things can inhibit spark. You may have to pull both inner fenders to inspect harness connections.

Try the fuel pump flow test

1 - 17 of 17 Posts