Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i took my bike out this last weekend and was forced into letting someone take off on it.... well im sure you all know the story... i find the guy standing next to my bike deep in the woods with that all to familiar puzzled look on his face. Anyways my bike wouldnt kick over i mean frozen so i tow the bike back and let it sit for an hour and 6-7 beers later went out and kicked it over and it actually started but had no power at full throttle and was blowing white smoke.. the bike will actually run and still start up 1st kick. it was raining really bad that day and im sure he was hitting the biggest water holes he could find. i went to the honda dealership today and someone mentioned vaporlock.. is this possible? if not any ideas on what could actually be wrong with the bike? i was thinking rings.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ok so i took my bike out this last weekend and was forced into letting someone take off on it.... well im sure you all know the story... i find the guy standing next to my bike deep in the woods with that all to familiar puzzled look on his face. Anyways my bike wouldnt kick over i mean frozen so i tow the bike back and let it sit for an hour and 6-7 beers later went out and kicked it over and it actually started but had no power at full throttle and was blowing white smoke.. the bike will actually run and still start up 1st kick. it was raining really bad that day and im sure he was hitting the biggest water holes he could find. i went to the honda dealership today and someone mentioned vaporlock.. is this possible? if not any ideas on what could actually be wrong with the bike? i was thinking rings.
How deep was the water holes? It sounds like it may have gotten water in the engine. What does the oil look like?

One would probably have to be fuel injected to be vapor locked. Vapor lock is when the heat from the engine heats the fuel lines and the liquid gasoline turns into a vapor. A fuel pump has trouble pumping vapors, since they are designed to pump a liquid. Since your ATV isn't fuel injected and doesn't have a fuel pump, I would say it wasn't vapor locked.

If the cylinder filled up with water, it will lock, because you can't compress water. But the pipe or intake would have had to have been under water for the cylinder to fill up with water.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^^agreed. is the smoke a whispy white or boes it have a slight blueish tint to it?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Im betting on he played submarine with it
Yep that is more than likely what happened, but I wouldn't know what that's like...lmao

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
yup..i'm with ya'll..he played like it had a 25hp mercury outboard on it !..lmfaoooooo..anyway..lol..sounds like water got inside the engine..and more than likely..burnt your rings up some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts