Honda ATV Forum banner

1990 honda frustrainax 300. 4x2. Whats the 3 ball bearing triangle thing for

3K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  Koolaid 
#1 ·
My 1990 honda fourtrax 300 doesnt have any forward or reverse gears cuz i took off the kick start cover to fix my oil leak then my old ladys brothers friend said to put the kick start in just like he did. Straight in with hook spring at top n I put everything together n started it n the kick start made alot of noise so I found out how to put it in correctly with the timing dot almost straight up n the reverse on matching the dot to the arrow(triangle) on the case. N now no forward lr reverse gears and i can turn the kick start easily by hand. Like nothing....
PLEASE HELP ME. and thank you in advance

#2 ·
everything must be installed correctly in order to work right !. the triangle part with the 3 balls is a friction plate, it allows you to adjust the pressure with the adjustment nut on the cover to the change clutch.

#3 ·
And if I adjust that correctly screw down to it touches then turn it a quarter turn then I'll have my gears back my forward and reverse gear??? God I hope you're if its not 6
the issue what else could it be. i።have that Kickstarter thing lined up I put the spring on the top hook thing and then ITwisted it down into the slot and let go of it where the. Is almost pointing straight uokp but more to the left then on the left side I mean not left side the reverse side a mess up those two8

#4 ·
So basically when I put it back together and I didn't adjust that nut with the screwdriver middle thing that's why I wouldn't have any forward or reverse gears correct? And the process of adjusting that is correct the way I'm saying it you tighten the nut till it gets tight know it you loosen a nut tighten the screwdriver part 2 gets tight then tighten a quarter turn and then tighten up so don't move right is that the proper way of doing it. I'm new to this obviously thank you for your help man I really do appreciate it.

#5 ·
So ur saying break the nut loose first, then tighten with the flat head till it touches the flywheel, then turn it a quarter turn tighter or back it off a quarter turn then tighten the nut all while holding the nut so it don't move. That part I'm confused. N now it wont start at all but thats cuz I think my neutral sensor surround plastic broke. I ordered all 3. So I'm hoping itll all b good. I just need to know the nut screwdriver part first

#9 ·
The other problem is b4 i do all that n put the cover back on will the kick start work properly if I hook the top n twist it to the right down till it goes in between the 2 holders? Cuz I don't wanna take it back apart if the kick start don't have any compression again. I can turn it with my hand and 2nd does anything else need to b in time? Cuz watching the kick start n noticing it doesn't turn the timing Chain or piston i manually turned the flywheel or whatever the circle thing is called n then I saw it turn. I don't understand y I have to adjust the jam nut n flat head screw thing cuz I didn't break it loose. Shouldn't it still b set the way it was b4. I thought take cover off, clean it, n put it back np. But everything went wrong when stuff fell out after I took the cover off. Sucks. Please help me with these question. I don't wanna put it back together then have to take it back apart if it don't work. Thank u guys so so SO much. Im learning alot.

#10 · (Edited)
The other problem is b4 i do all that n put the cover back on will the kick start work properly if I hook the top n twist it to the right down till it goes in between the 2 holders? Cuz I don't wanna take it back apart if the kick start don't have any compression again. I can turn it with my hand and 2nd does anything else need to b in time? Cuz watching the kick start n noticing it doesn't turn the timing Chain or piston i manually turned the flywheel or whatever the circle thing is called n then I saw it turn. I don't understand y I have to adjust the jam nut n flat head screw thing cuz I didn't break it loose. Shouldn't it still b set the way it was b4. I thought take cover off, clean it, n put it back np. But everything went wrong when stuff fell out after I took the cover off. Sucks. Please help me with these question. I don't wanna put it back together then have to take it back apart if it don't work. Thank u guys so so SO much. Im learning a lot.

#11 ·
I would guess that parts are not in order , the triangle piece , as you call it , is number 14 in this pic , it has a small spring on one side , so it only properly goes one way , has to be put n the correct way ---- from the pic , can you see how the adjustment screw #13 effects the adjustment , it pushes right against the " triangle piece "

#16 ·
I would guess that parts are not in order , the triangle piece , as you call it , is number 14 in this pic , it has a small spring on one side , so it only properly goes one way , has to be put n the correct way ---- from the pic , can you see how the adjustment screw #13 effects the adjustment , it pushes right against the " triangle piece "

View attachment 150616
[9

View attachment 150616
I must have put that number 11 spring in between the 12 and 14. Cuz I don't think I have to adjust the clutch cuz I never unlocked it I never took it apart I just pulled the cover off to change the gasket that's all I wanted to do but everything falling out is what got me in this mess now and then the shifter you can turn it turn it turn it by hand nothing ever happens so is there any other timing that I need to know about I know about the Kickstart timing. Has to be pointing kind of up and the reverse has to be pointing towards at triangle arrow thing on the aluminum and I got that set I just don't want to do all this and have to drain the oil back out and waste another bunch of oil and I'm too scared to tilt it back because I don't want that washer to fall down in that bunch of gears. The washer behind the kickstarter

#29 ·
View attachment 150741
the only way I know of how to post a video on here is to do it to You-tube then link the video , the last video I did took about an hour to load up and was only 45 seconds long -------
the only way I know of how to post a video on here is to do it to You-tube then link the video , the last video I did took about an hour to load up and was only 45 seconds long -------

Red Wire Cable Technology Hose
Red Wire Cable Technology Hose

#22 ·
Fish thank you so so so much. I'm like u in the very beginning u said oh no the bogey mans gonna get me n it did. I was only changing my right side gasket cuz of a leak. No problems at all b4 this. None. I got new parts n scared to go back in it. 1 more question my ignition i have 4 wires I bought a switch 2 pinks a red and a black. 4 wires total. Tried to just connect them to the same Colors on the wheeler. Wrong didn't work. WTF right? So I pink with a white tracer, another pink, a red, and a black. Would u happen to know which wires go together? What color to what color so the factory switch can work. Cuz I got the toggle switch n took it off at the beginning of this and can't figure out how to put it correctly where it'll start, and charge, n not mess anything up. I'm just too scared now. All cuz of a damn gasket n stuff falling out after I got the case off. Grrrrr. Please any help.bro. I wish I could give u my number so6 u1 co5ul9d ca7ll2 me6 an3d gi5ve6 me some confidence back. Please fish
I need ur help for the love of God bro. A gasket n now this. A damn oil leak. I appreciate u bro so much u can't understand . 1990 honda fourtrax 300.

#23 ·
Hey fish I just learned some new stuff about your video you just sent me please call me I can send you videos back about mine and you can easily answer them for me and help me out. I've been looking forward to hearing from you fish this is Kool-Aid thanks man. I got a bunch of questions not a bunch but about 3 . Thanks man have a good day

#24 ·
Koolaid , come on over to ************ , quite a few of the guys that use to hang here , hang over there now , I come by here ever now and then , you will get a lot more replies over there ------------- a 1990 300 ignition switch has a black , red , pink and pink and white , you want the red and black together and the pink and pink/white together for

#30 ·
You told me put the red to the black. But the pinks I don't know one is solid pink n one is pink with a white tracer, do I put the two solids together and the 2 pink tracers together or do I put the ignition switch solid to the Honda pink tracer and then the switch pink Tracer to the Honda solid pink?.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.