Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad has a 1988 trx 300 and he broke the axle... what is the easiest way to replace it??? and where is it the cheepest to buy a new axle for it???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
2wd or 4wd, front axle or rear axle?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Unbolt the hubs, remove the axle nuts/locknuts, remove the brakes and brake backing plate, and the axle comes out the right side.

Sometimes, you can find pretty good prices on axles on Ebay.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok the axle isn't broken but the teeth on the hubs and axle are striped so im going to weld them togeather

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i ended up welding the wheel hub to the axle and i lasted for around 8 months of playing/hauling our 4horse trailer/doing a lot of misc. logging work at our cabin and it finally broke the weld right in the middle yesterday... so my next thought was to grind it down to a V again and re weld it then drill a hole through the wheel hub and axle and put a metal rod through it... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If you just weld around where the hub meets the axle, it won't hold, as you already found out. I'm surprised it held as long as it did. You can weld them on the outside where the nut is, too and they will hold. In other words, weld them on both sides, the inside and outside. Weld on the inside where you welded before and then weld on the outside. To weld on the outside, take the nut off that holds the hub on. If you look at the end of the axle where the nut was, you will see a small gap between the end of the hub and the axle. Run a bead of weld in the gap all the way around the axle. You don't have to put the nut back on, but you can if you want. Just grind the top of the weld smooth all the way round and tighten the nut up against the weld. The nut won't really hold anything, but it looks funny without the nut on the end of the axle. If you weld both sides, the hub can't rock back and forth and break the weld loose. That's what happens when you only weld the inside edge of the hub.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You're welcome.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so i welded the axle in both places lastnight so here are the pics... ps if you have any openion that it will not hold PLEASE let me know. thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
That looks like it should hold.

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
That should hold it as long as you're not jumping it hard...BTW,in the future if you get a new axle,and hubs,applying a thin coating of anti seize all over the splines,and inside the hub splines prior to torquing the new axle nuts down onto the new axle hubs to the new axle,and using the rubber wheel caps that come on the atv will help to keep this from happening again...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it was stock and finaly happened last october so when i get a new axle i will... it is a work horse and my little toy so i will probably be ordering a new axle when io get the money for when it breaks again lol

·
Premium Member
11,311 Posts
I see quite a few good solid condition axles on feeBay often enough for low(cheap) prices,some with,and some without the hub flanges,nuts...Quite a few years of the 300's rear axles are the same...My 300s hubs were loose(bought it with badly worn hubs),and the nuts were very weak on the threads so I ordered 2 new nuts,installed them,torqued them down tight,and have had no troubles since even though the axle splines were worn about halfway down...I can pop a wheelie on it,lock the brakes down,do doughnuts,jump it,play with it hard and they haven't slipped,stripped,or loosened up yet,but if they do I'll simply run a couple of inch long welds on each side of each hub flange,and let her ride...

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Since you welded both sides, it should hold. They usually won't hold long if you just weld the inside, because the splines are worn and it will let the hub move up and down when you run over rocks and things and it will break the weld loose. When you weld, both the inside and outside, the hub can't rock back and forth and break the weld. Every hub that I've welded on both sides has held.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sweet im excited... and what are the rear tire size stock???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
sweet im excited... and what are the rear tire size stock???
Two wheel drive
Front - 23X8-11
Rear - 25X12-9

Four wheel drive
Front - 23X8-11
Rear - 24X9-11

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok and one last question for now... how do you know all of these answers???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
ok and one last question for now... how do you know all of these answers???
I've been riding ATVs and working on ATVs for 26 years. LOL. I can't remember everything, though. Sometimes, I have to look in my service manuals to refresh my memory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts