Honda ATV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
Oh , I forgot way I was really posting , I seen the tool to change the boots without taking the axle apart , it is cool , but I am still changing the axles and not the boots , Sixity works well

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
update: started working on gas tank and rear fender, got most of the deep scratches out of the rear fender. put the 4x4 badge on the left side on the drive shaft cover. this is just a mock up, nothing is final, just getting a lookee-see how things will turn out ?. please keep in mind..this atv is 31 years old!!!!!..lol.

Attachments

Reactions: _Wilson_ and retro

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
been awhile sense last update, my cabin work took over !..lol. I need to roll her back into my shop, rip the front axles out, and install new cv joint boots, for some reason unknown ?, the ones on there split apart , hmmmm ??. I got brand new boots to install. need to get her in the shop, and try to catch up where I left off ?. just finished a members '98 trx450es for him, he's a happy camper from what I heard and seen when he picked it up yesterday. @Goober was nice enough to send me a fan for this project !, should shine like a brand new penny when she's all done !. it may not be a 2019 model ?, but I think it will turn out nice when I am done with her ! :). I will try to post progress pic's when I get a chance, still trying to work on my cabin if this stupid weather would act right ?!..lol.
You’re very welcome @shadetree you’ve done so much for us.
but slight correction i sent you the fan control module. I don’t have a fan–but if i did I would sure send it to ya.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
been awhile sense last update, my cabin work took over !..lol. I need to roll her back into my shop, rip the front axles out, and install new cv joint boots, for some reason unknown ?, the ones on there split apart , hmmmm ??. I got brand new boots to install. need to get her in the shop, and try to catch up where I left off ?. just finished a members '98 trx450es for him, he's a happy camper from what I heard and seen when he picked it up yesterday. @Goober was nice enough to send me a fan for this project !, should shine like a brand new penny when she's all done !. it may not be a 2019 model ?, but I think it will turn out nice when I am done with her ! :). I will try to post progress pic's when I get a chance, still trying to work on my cabin if this stupid weather would act right ?!..lol.
You’re very welcome @shadetree you’ve done so much for us.
but slight correction i sent you the fan control module. I don’t have a fan–but if i did I would sure send it to ya.
lol, ok..what good is the fan control unit..if I dont have a fan ?..lol. still..thank you !.

Reactions: Goober

·
Registered
35 Posts
Your build is awesome and I can’t wait to see it all the way thru! What engine paint do you use and how do you get that old plastic looking so fine? New owner of a well used 95 TRX300FW and just starting a rear end rebuild...:smile

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Your build is awesome and I can’t wait to see it all the way thru! What engine paint do you use and how do you get that old plastic looking so fine? New owner of a well used 95 TRX300FW and just starting a rear end rebuild...:smile
krylon silver paint on the engine. between palm sander, sand paper, razor blade, and a ton of elbow grease , I try my best to prep the fenders. once all that is done, I use krylon spray paint made for plastics. I wasn't going to paint these fenders ?, but after a bit, I see there was too much build up in them ?, sooo..out comes the razor blade to scrape them all down to get down to the shinny plastic. then I will paint them. thanks for the kind words !. don't sit there too long waiting for this to be done ?, I have a very long way to go !..lol. at least the engine is done and runs !!..lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh I won't wait. I'm doing that 95 300 that was well used and needs the rear brakes and diff done. So the Krylon you use on the motor and diff is it an engine paint ?

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Oh I won't wait. I'm doing that 95 300 that was well used and needs the rear brakes and diff done. So the Krylon you use on the motor and diff is it an engine paint ?
no, its not engine paint. but !!!. it does not flake off !. I have used it many times on my engines and diffs, and it stays on there. just make sure you clean the engine really good !!!. as well as the diff's. now, when I paint my mufflers/exhaust systems ?, I use B-B-Q- paint, it has a 1200f limit on it !. works great !.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
update: well, it's not as good body work as i'd like?, but it's all I can do on these fenders. for 31 years old, I think the new owner will be happy to own a legend !. here is a few before pics. after pics will follow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
after body work :). best I can do, other than wrap them ?. I am undecided if I want to still wrap them ?. more than likely I wont.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Wow! Looks awesome. Good job. What is involved in your preparation and painting process?? I'd love to make mine look like that; they're all discolored because of the sun.
your first task is getting all the oxidation off the fenders/plastic. this is by sanding or scrapping with a razor blade as I did. then its just a matter of fixing any cracks/holes ?, then just paint them. the hardest task I found with these fenders is nothing wanted to stick to them ?!. plastics for most atvs will NOT take to any kinda glue off the shelf !!. soo..good luck on that part.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looking mighty sweet there shade!! Are you going to supply sunglasses with this when it gets outside........lol

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Looking mighty sweet there shade!! Are you going to supply sunglasses with this when it gets outside........lol
lol, nope, new owners should bring their own sun glasses..lol.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
update: got the front bumper and rack temp mounted to check for fit, just a mock up. did get the air box, air filter, oem snorkel installed, so thats done. done for today/tonight, i'm tired..lol.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
update: rear rack,rear rack swing arm painted and installed ! :).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
update: waiting on my front fender stays, new dash cover, then I get the pleasure of taking the front fender back off to replace the dash. all these parts should ( usps ) is delivering them today ?, then I will tear into that tonight. need to make a run to wally world for some gloss black paint for the front rack and front bumper. I plan on re-painting the fuel tank, but it will be a while before I do that, I ordered new fuel tank decals, and they are on back order from honda. yes..they are OEM decals..not those stupid repo decals that ebay sells !..lol. after some digging and research, I found out this fuel tank decal says its for a 1991 trx300fw , or at least in that year range ?, its not for a 1988 trx300fw for sure !. I carefully matched up the decals, and the 1988 fuel decal is not the same as the decal that is on this tank. one thing I did discover lately: the paint I sprayed on the plastics scratch off very easy !!. it don't hold very well compared to the spray paint I have used in the past ?..oh well..the new owner is going to take it out in the woods anyway on day one during hunting season, so I just know they will scratch the crap out of it anyway..lol. its not a collectors item, its not a museum piece, but very close !!!! :).

101 - 120 of 144 Posts