Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well outlaws, the tear down has started !. removed the topend while the motor was still in the frame, as you can see, the piston died !..lol. cylinder was in pretty bad shape. i'd almost be willing to bet, by looking at the piston, that i've got a bent exhaust valve ?. have not tore the head down yet, just wanted to get the motor out, and torn down a bit to get the cam chain out, clutches out. called it a night. enjoy the tear down pics :).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
few more tear down pics. got a very long way to go on this, one day at a time ! :).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
Wow, who ever owned that one , looked like they wasn't into changing the engine oil , that is the blackest oil I think I ever seen in an ATV engine , looks like a Detroit Diesel

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, who ever owned that one , looked like they wasn't into changing the engine oil , that is the blackest oil I think I ever seen in an ATV engine , looks like a Detroit Diesel
lol, I think your right !. it was pretty gooey and sticky to say the least !!. rod seemed to be ok from what little time I had my hand on it, everything looks to be in good shape so far. although...the clutch one-way bearing is bad, won't catch when kicking it over. this is the trx300fw that jeep gave me for rebuilding his '97 trx300fw.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
That was the first 300 I picked up. I picked it up about 5 years ago. Later on I picked up a couple of 2nd gens because I really wanted to run 424's and the only way to get a 424 for a first gen is the custom $500+ ones. Figured I would fix this one up and flip it, but Shade has more time and expertise than I do, and I'm sure his end result will be much nicer than any attempt I would have made.

I already had some parts I sent with it that I knew it would need. Freshly bored cylinder and new piston, timing chain, battery, front knuckles with new bearings and ball joints, new tie rod ends, gasket kit and oil seals, air filter, spark plug, and a stock 300 rear end with a rebuild kit. I was hoping that would be all Shade would need.

Hopefully the rest of what is needed won't set him back much.

When I bought it, by all appearances it had been sitting in the guys yard for years without moving. Had about 4 inches of tree sap on it.

That said, it was mostly there (missing rear end) and black engine oil is better than milk (water)!

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was the first 300 I picked up. I picked it up about 5 years ago. Later on I picked up a couple of 2nd gens because I really wanted to run 424's and the only way to get a 424 for a first gen is the custom $500+ ones. Figured I would fix this one up and flip it, but Shade has more time and expertise than I do, and I'm sure his end result will be much nicer than any attempt I would have made.

I already had some parts I sent with it that I knew it would need. Freshly bored cylinder and new piston, timing chain, battery, front knuckles with new bearings and ball joints, new tie rod ends, gasket kit and oil seals, air filter, spark plug, and a stock 300 rear end with a rebuild kit. I was hoping that would be all Shade would need.

Hopefully the rest of what is needed won't set him back much.

When I bought it, by all appearances it had been sitting in the guys yard for years without moving. Had about 4 inches of tree sap on it.

That said, it was mostly there (missing rear end) and black engine oil is better than milk (water)!
water or oil, wont make a diff, gonna rip it all apart anyway, give it a good cleaning out.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: just as I said, with the piston destroyed like it was ?, sure enough, exhaust valve was bent, exhaust guide was damaged. was able to order new intake and exhaust valves, both guides, and a one-way clutch bearing. my first glance at the head seemed like it would not work with the ex valve seat ?, but i'm pretty sure it will be ok.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Yep, but same batch that my daughter's 300 cylinder was in, and it seems to be good to go.

That 350 cylinder actually doesn't smoke anymore since I put a new crank in it. As I understand it, Dick's was subcontracting out the cylinder work. Think it was to Ted Thomas IF (big if) I understood things correctly.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, but same batch that my daughter's 300 cylinder was in, and it seems to be good to go.

That 350 cylinder actually doesn't smoke anymore since I put a new crank in it. As I understand it, Dick's was subcontracting out the cylinder work. Think it was to Ted Thomas IF (big if) I understood things correctly.
i'll be sure to inspect the cylinder and piston before I put it together !..lol.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just came in from the shop, started In on the carb, well...lets just say...its not gonna work !!..lol. jets were busted off down inside, corroded big time !. now i've got to come up with a carb..( sigh ). I can see right now, this build is gonna get pricy !..lol.

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts

I'd guess that was 2-3 years ago you got them 5 jugs done , I think the way it went was there was a old guy had a machine shop in Slidell and he was doing them , then his son took over and I heard of a few problems , not sure when Ted took over , then right before Dick's moved to Mississippi , he got his own machine

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well crap !!. it doesn't look like I am going to make any headway on this build ??. decided to start rebuilding the rear diff with new parts that jeep supplied, only to find out that when he stuck the diff together...HE DID NOT GIVE ME THE SHIM WASHERS FOR THE RING GEAR !..ROFL !!. at this rate, I might have this done around x-mas ?!..lol.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone got some rear diff shim washers for a '88 trx300fw ??. oh...and maybe toss in a '88 trx300fw carb ?..rofl.

·
Premium Member
12,340 Posts
I could most probably dig up some shims from some old 300 diffs , but , what about having the correct shim , there are about 15 different thicknesses

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I could most probably dig up some shims from some old 300 diffs , but , what about having the correct shim , there are about 15 different thicknesses
yeah fish, this is what I hate about starting from scratch..we have no idea what thickness its suppose to be ?. i'm missing the pinion gear washer as well !..lol. I guess you might be able to round up as many as you can, including the pinion gear washer, I can '' test fit '' the new ring gear and pinion gear together, and '' feel '' for a good mesh ?, and which ever ones I don't need, I could send them back to ya, other than this ?, I have no idea what to do here seeing how i'm putting this together from scratch...lol. its a new ring and pinion gear set, all new bearings and seals, I just dont have these damn shims and washer ?. i'm gonna have to have a longgggggggggg chat with jeep over this crap !!..rofl.

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
shade, let me know the numbers on the side of your original carburetor body. I have a lot of 300 carburetor main bodies I can get to ya.
hi ya @Manny, I took care of the carb problem, as well as the rear diff, thank you very kindly for the offer ! :). I do still need to locate a front bumper and front rack, this one is just trashed. got my eye out for these parts...lol. this is deff gonna be a long time to build this puppy !..lol.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts