Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought a choke plunger for my atv and the buyer i bought it from was on amazon and misleaded the title saying it fits on 1988 models. So now i have a long plunger that wont fit and there is only 1 seller that sells it on amazon but ill have to wait 12 days to get it. Does anyone know how to make the plunger fit?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
are you talking about a carb plunger? i know how to eliminate one of those, and i did. i'm still happy bout that, just got to get back to my shifting problem..
hope ya got your money back, on what ya bought..

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
the long plungers have to be used with the correct cable and headlight assembly ------------ there is a kit that uses the longer plunger where a short plunger is usually used , there is an adaptor that takes up the extra slack so the long plunger can be used with a short plunger cable and switch ------ many of the 300 riders around here that have snorkels , plug up the choke plunger holes with silicone or such and choke the engine by putting there hand over the snorkel , are you snorkeled ? I had a 300 that was like that and fixed it back to stock

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your telling me i just have to plug the plunger with my finger and let go and it will start properly?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
So your telling me i just have to plug the plunger with my finger and let go and it will start properly?
No the plunger when ‘choked’ opens the enrichment passage of the carb. See the hole on the left side of the carb throat? It goes all the way through to the engine side. You can actually clean the enrichment circuit with a pipe cleaner

You cannot easily make the long skinny plunger work–can’t rob the seal can’t replace just the seal. you are right to simply get the real deal OEM plunger.

Many many sellers do not know their applications.

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts

if that was directed at my comment ------- no , if you by-pass ( get rid of ) the plunger , the hole has to be sealed off -------- to achieve choking with the plunger gone , you put your hand over the snorkel and it acts just like a choke , I ran my blue 300 for a while like that , till I put a new light switch assembly and changed the carb and went back to the plunger ( fuel enrichment valve )

Partzilla shows the adaptor I was talking about where the long plunger is used in place of the short plunger , it came with a kit , not available at the moment ---see the short ones on e-bay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a quick question. The only right plunger i can find is on ebay and its gonna cost me $60 cad, couldnt i just save some money by installing a snorkel and starting it by the way you described it

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
Just a quick question. The only right plunger i can find is on ebay and its gonna cost me $60 cad, couldnt i just save some money by installing a snorkel and starting it by the way you described it

Sure , you plug the hole where the plunger goes with some 3m5200 or silicone , put your hand over the snorkel hole and you got a choke ----I have seen the short plungers kits on e-bay for $10

I think I mentioned it above , there are kits that come with a bushing /spacer , you screw that into the carb , then install the long plunger , the spacer takes up the difference ---- Partzilla's kit was like that I an thinking , but they are out of stock at the moment and might never get them again as 300 OEm parts are disappearing fast , I have one of those adaptors on one of my 300s , I am going to search it right now for you

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Here are part numbers for oem valve sets
16046-HC4-840
16046-HC4-003

$60 Can = $46 US

That’s a decent price to have an OEM carb running right

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
If I still have mine I can have it free, u just pay shipping. Ur in CND like me, where at?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Yes. But I’ll have to see if I still have it....

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
Crave; yeah I can find tons of sellers in ebay but when it calculates shipping and then import fees and then currency conversion then it always become $50+[/QUOTE said:
..... If you want to play you got to pay ..... or move ....

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Sorry Crave, I don’t have it anymore. I myself am in Alberta. Spruce Grove. Try calling Recycle Motorcycle in Stony Plain. I deal with them a fair amount. Russ is the owner & can possibly help u out!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
5 Participants
fishfiles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing