Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this ATV several years ago in a hurry as I needed one for a trip. Scence then I've used it a couple times and the more I look at it the worse it gets. It's missing random fasteners here and there. I have a large mag of "miscellaneous parts" that appears to have a lot of what it needs... if I knew what I was looking for. I would like to reassemble the battery holder area. I could really use a few photos of what all the parts look like and what it looks like assembled.

At this point I'm thinking to try and reassemble what I can get it to run again (carb cleaning and battery area) and sell it. I'm really not sure what its worth in this condition. I have replaced the fuel petcock and gotten a new battery at this point. It has a terribly scabbed on plow mount on it that has pierced the frame in a few spots. It did spend its like in the desert so it has little rust on it.

Does anyone have any advice?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Download the service manual and parts links in my signature block below

best to know the proper hardware part number, what it looks like and what you’re missing. It’s getting harder to get some ‘88 parts

you can check NADA values—the value is dependent on condition.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
So the 88 is the first year TRX300–made in Japan—US started making TRX300A and FW in 89. Your VIN should start with JH3. They are pretty good little rigs. 88-94 in the same service manual.
i love my 93.

the battery hold down is a flat plate

check my parts links it’s under rear fender

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for the help.
I have a bag of used 1988 parts from PSN used ATV parts literally labeled "miscellaneous parts" I bought it because I spotted the red battery cover in the ad. It is 15 pounds of stuff. I found the battery plane in it now that I knew what I was looking for. When I got the quad the battery was rolling around in the bin with nothing holding it down and no cover.

I have also purchased a Moose carb rebuild kit. It is the same one shown in the "D-Ray" YouTube video so I'm going to pull the carb set it on the desk and hopefully get through it.
I would like to know what the White plastic fastener (#35 in the schematic) is for in the photo below. Does it attach to something? I'm going to try and reassemble this battery area based on the parts schematic. I have a few bolts to order. Do you recommed rocky mountain or Partszilla? I think I need two each of #32 and #33

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I can take pics of mine later. That little white clip binds the subwire harness so it doesn’t get rubbed between the battery and fender

BTW it’s supposed to be flat I’ll post a pic later and you can straighten it

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
So the 88 is the first year TRX300–made in Japan—US started making TRX300A and FW in 89. Your VIN should start with JH3. They are pretty good little rigs. 88-94 in the same service manual. View attachment 150201 i love my 93.

the battery hold down is a flat plate

check my parts links it’s under rear fender
honda did not make a 4wd trx300 in '89 bro !.

Reactions: Goober

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Roger that —you’re right —I should have said US started building TRX300 in 1989
well, your getting warmer ?..honda started the trx300 in 1988 !.., too many home made brews bro ?..lol.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Lols yeah I mentioned OP’s 88 TRX300 was Made in Japan so VIN starts with JH3–first year for TRX300. Then manufactured in US, so those VIN start with 478.
Or maybe it was another TRX300 thread i wrote in lol— yknow 300 owners are everywhere, right? I don’t know anyone that doesn’t have one. Excellent rigs

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you near eastern NC?? lol those old atv's are beast for their tiny stature ... IM joking Btw about Location .. it looks to be a gem and very near OEM condition.. could be something a Collector would want or possibily a dealer . either way most likley above the $$ id want to spend to go push down trails ....
Ive often wondered about the possibility of adapting the 4x4 driveshaft setup from a trx300fw to a larger sport honda engine . like a Atc350 motor or trx400ex, XR650r or the xl on-off road version .. ect :)
@Stan459. if you are persistant enough you could tuck a winch in the frame near to over the front diff. with some crafty ubolt fastening ? or get a weld on wench plate from HF and carry it along with your front bumper to a local welding shop .. and have them extend the bumper a bit adding the mount plate and mabey a cable ferling ?? or use a hitch receiver tube and have the wench on a receiver plate mount .. allowing the winch to be taklen off easily or switched to the rear via a 2nd receiver tube ,and Power+ controll wiring plug set ... if using a cheap chhina made winch .. opt for physical wire connector .. VS a remote fob one. the remote ones HF sold 10 yrs back were un predictabbile using the remote .. making them dangerous ,and destructive. .. theese days you can get aftermarket BT or wifi controlled switches that can be operated with your phone and a app if you need to be far away in saftey ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK now I'm at a standstill again. The screws on the float bowl are stripped. Any ideas on how to remove them? I tried the rubber band method with no luck. I'm not sure how I would cut a slot in them being so close to the float bowl.

Y2daT420:
No I'm located in western Oregon. I can assure you this thing is anything but a gem. It's got plenty of issues. I'd like to sell it if I can get it running and back together again.

The winch mount is a home made job welded onto the frame...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
OK I found a small pair of needle nose pliers and was able to wiggle them out.

Could someone post a photo of their battery box area similar to the first two photos I posted? Clearly I'm missing a bunch of parts... some of which may be in my miscellaneous parts box. a couple photos. would really help me either find the parts or figure out what pieces I need to order.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
OK I found a small pair of needle nose pliers and was able to wiggle them out.

Could someone post a photo of their battery box area similar to the first two photos I posted? Clearly I'm missing a bunch of parts... some of which may be in my miscellaneous parts box. a couple photos. would really help me either find the parts or figure out what pieces I need to order.
chances are..you wont be able to order new parts for the battery area ?!..most are discontinued, its used parts for them now, but the good news !!!, i looked at your pic ^^^^^^, your not missing anything but the battery !!!.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I finally received the parts I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV. They have a very usable site and parts diagrams but their inventory was off and it delayed shipment. Whoever worked on this thing last apparently liked to reassemble by stripping out the fastener or just not using it at all. The jet holder was missing inside the carb. not sure how important it is but I'm going to add one when I reassemble the carb. Any recommended oil for the new air filter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought this ATV several years ago in a hurry as I needed one for a trip. Scence then I've used it a couple times and the more I look at it the worse it gets. It's missing random fasteners here and there. I have a large mag of "miscellaneous parts" that appears to have a lot of what it needs... if I knew what I was looking for. I would like to reassemble the battery holder area. I could really use a few photos of what all the parts look like and what it looks like assembled.

At this point I'm thinking to try and reassemble what I can get it to run again (carb cleaning and battery area) and sell it. I'm really not sure what its worth in this condition. I have replaced the fuel petcock and gotten a new battery at this point. It has a terribly scabbed on plow mount on it that has pierced the frame in a few spots. It did spend its like in the desert so it has little rust on it.

Does anyone have any advice?

View attachment 150196 View attachment 150197 View attachment 150198 View attachment 150199
Do you still have the ATV?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts