Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Yeah Clarke makes a plastic tank for them:
Honda TRX250X Fourtrax ATV 1987-1992 Plastic Fuel Tank Gas & Cap

If it's not too far gone you can also buy a POR-15 kit that includes everything you need to clean out and seal your current tank. I've done two steel 3 wheeler tanks with the kit with good results as long as you follow the instructions to a T.

Rob

Reactions: b52bombardier1

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Or you can find a good 300ex tank on feebay..... They arenthe same

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have the time save yourself the money and treat it for about $45.

You will need:
Red Kote - available from O'reilleys $35
2 gallons of vinegar - $5
Salt - unless you are the saddest of bachelors you should have this in your kitchen
Acetone $5
A short length of chain or some small nuts and bolts or gravel or your wife's jewelry or whatever you can find to put in the tank to shake and knock the big stuff loose.

Put the chain or whatever in the gas-free tank with some water and shake it like it's a crying baby.
Pour out everything in you neighbors yard.

Vinegar is acetic acid - pretty weak stuff
Vinegar plus salt is sodium acetate - still pretty weak but will get the job done without being dangerous
Pour in the vinegar and a bunch of salt. Shake that baby again to dissolve the salt. Let it sit for 4-5 days in the garage. Every time you think about it or go out to grab a beer shake it and turn it over so all parts of the tank get some love. If you don't care about what you put in there to knock loose the big stuff leave it in there and it'll speed up the process.

Check it. I let mine, which was REALLY rusted, sit for 5 days. I was blown away by how clean it came out!

You could probably just use it from there after a good rinse and dry. I used the Red Kote to avoid the rust from ever coming back and was pretty impressed with the stuff. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY!!! If you don't want to get REALLY high off of the fumes from this stuff use it in a well ventilated area. In your garage with a big bad fan blowing and the door wide open apparently IS NOT a well ventilated area. I had to quickly move the project outside so I could stop hallucinating. Also wear old clothes, shoes and gloves. Cover any part of your tank, garage, body, wife and kids with masking tape and or card board!!! What this stuff touches is permanently coated. Period. Actually acetone will remove it but its pretty sticky and potentially messy so be careful.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

You will need:
Salt - unless you are the saddest of bachelors you should have this in your kitchen
Acetone $5
A short length of chain or some small nuts and bolts or gravel or your wife's jewelry or whatever you can find to put in the tank to shake and knock the big stuff loose.

Put the chain or whatever in the gas-free tank with some water and shake it like it's a crying baby.

Vinegar plus salt is sodium acetate - still pretty weak but will get the job done without being dangerous
Pour in the vinegar and a bunch of salt. Shake that baby again to dissolve the salt. Let it sit for 4-5 days in the garage. Every time you think about it or go out to grab a beer shake it and turn it over so all parts of the tank get some love. If you don't care about what you put in there to knock loose the big stuff leave it in there and it'll speed up the process.

Check it. I let mine, which was REALLY rusted, sit for 5 days. I was blown away by how clean it came out!

You could probably just use it from there after a good rinse and dry. I used the Red Kote to avoid the rust from ever coming back and was pretty impressed with the stuff. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY!!! If you don't want to get REALLY high off of the fumes from this stuff use it in a well ventilated area. In your garage with a big bad fan blowing and the door wide open apparently IS NOT a well ventilated area. I had to quickly move the project outside so I could stop hallucinating. Also wear old clothes, shoes and gloves. Cover any part of your tank, garage, body, wife and kids with masking tape and or card board!!! What this stuff touches is permanently coated. Period. Actually acetone will remove it but its pretty sticky and potentially messy so be careful.

Hope this helps.
lmfao^^^^^, you my friend, have a very wild sense of humor, love it !..lmaooo.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

You will need:
Acetone $5

Hope this helps.

HAHA, this is the best tutorial I've ever read....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.