Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and website and need some help here. I purchased a 88 300trx and I am having trouble with the spark. I have read other posts and mine is doing something different. First i believe it is a 1988 because the guy I got it from said it was. The serial number is hard to read to actually find out. First i cleaned the carb and it ran fine. I ran it out of fuel and then it would not start. I purchased a coil and still no spark so i purchased a CDI box and it started right up. road it about a mile and when I put it in nuetral it shut off and would not start again. Pushed it back and messed with it a while and figured I would put the original CDI box back on. It started right up then after I shut it off it would not start again. Purchased another CDI box and it started right back up. I do not want to ruin this one so any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Where have you been buying your CDIs? I've read multiple times here on the forums not to get them from China. You'll be getting great advice here on the forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cdi box

Not sure where they are made but crossrefrenced the part number online and found one on walmart and the other on amazon. They both arrived very fast within 2-3 days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
forgot one thing...... i spoke to the guy I git the 300 from and i asked him if he hd ever had any trouble. He said no then told me he would be riding and it would shut off. he would mess with the kill switch and it would start again. I purchased a new kill switch and should be here on the 19th. But i am confused as to why the original one that was laying in the back of my truck that did not work started it up then did not work again. And when i put a new one on it starts right up?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Probably aftermarket CDI's.. they are hit and miss like the China carbs..
OEM is the BEST option..

Check your carb again.. make sure it's still clean.. look at your gas tank. Is it clean.. check your fuel lines. Are they hard and brittle? I fixed a 350 not long ago where ethanol and old fuel lines were clogging up the carb..
Is your petcock clean? Filters on them clean??

When it stops running are you losing spark?? Can you turn the kill switch off and in and start it?? (Clean the contacts n your kill switch)

Welcome to the forums!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Recleaned the car, the petcock will only allow fuel in reserve. I have one on the way. New fuel lines. Yes when it stops running no spark.When the kill switch is off no i can not start it.

1988 Honda Four Trax 300trx

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Here is the FSM for your 300 in case you don't have one yet. I would go through the entire wiring harness unplugging every plug to make sure connections are clean and tight. You can use some silicone dielectric grease to help waterproof them. Most importantly each metal contact pair must be clean and snap together snugly. Any loose fitting plugs will need to be fixed, which is usually easy. While the plastics are off clean the ground cable connections going to the motor and the ground wire from the harness going to the frame. Look for any wires that are damaged or rubbed bare and fix them. Make sure the kill switch and the ignition switch plug in connectors are clean and tight. Both of those switches can get water in them and corrode the contacts inside. You can spray some WD40 into them and operate them on and off several times to help get them working reliably again. Be thorough... it sounds like your bike needs someone like that...

Welcome to the forums!

EDIT:
I agree with the above! Don't waste your time and money on useless china junk. Buy OEM parts only, else the same problems will always be there.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
As I always do I'm going to recommend https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ for CDI units and such. Good service, good quality and cheaper than OEM.

You won't beat OEM for most things but ^theres^ an alternative if you so wish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check the wiring this week and report back. From what I am gathering the CDI box needs to be OEM and I just ordered one today. If the CDI OEM goes out again any suggestions as to why? Has anyone ever heard of this problem before. All this info has been helpfull thank you to everyone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i am unable to read it. it i can see some numbers but most have been worn off. is there any other way to tell?

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
so you say the frame vin number and the engine serial number are both unreadable cause they are worn out , I would be afraid of that bike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts