Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just registered and this is my first thread.
I recently acquired a 1988 300 trx 4x4. It had a lot of missing parts except for the engine. I recently pulled the engine out, now I am scratching my. What do I do with this now? It is not locked up or anything, but I am no mechanic, although I get by with our cars. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you, Mark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't even know if it would run, so, could I sale this to someone as a untested engine,maybe someone that wants to rebuild it? Maybe someone in my area.
What would you do with it?
Thanks again, Mark.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are you uninterested in restoring the ATV? If so, start selling the remains parts online, etc. Alternatively, you could restore the units, great folks here to help and detailed service manuals to guide you. The 300 is highly sought so selling parts should be easy and likewise the 300 is a great ATV to restore.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you uninterested in restoring the ATV? If so, start selling the remains parts online, etc. Alternatively, you could restore the units, great folks here to help and detailed service manuals to guide you. The 300 is highly sought so selling parts should be easy and likewise the 300 is a great ATV to restore.

I agree, restoring sounds much better than part out in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I should of joined earlier as I have sold to many good parts already off it. Although thanks for your opinions, What now? Should I part out the motor? Rebuild and sale or just sale as is?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
how deep is your pockets ?, you got plenty of spare cash to restore it ?, plenty of spare time ?, these are the questions you should be asking yourself :).

·
Premium Member
6,555 Posts
If you're going to sell the motor, you will probably get a little more for it in bits, but will be a lot more trouble and time doing it.

I'd sell it whole, and don't expect to get much for it.

Where are you located? For some reason Louisiana seems to have 90% of the 300's in existence.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
If you're going to sell the motor, you will probably get a little more for it in bits, but will be a lot more trouble and time doing it.

Where are you located? For some reason Louisiana seems to have 90% of the 300's in existence.
yep, noticed this just earlier, looking at a '98 trx300fw down south from me, suppose to go look at it tomorrow ?, he say's it runs, but smokes ?, i'm sure it needs a ton of work ?..lol. not sure if I want to bite or not ?. seems there is a lot of trx300's down south of me.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

That's the truth, I've noticed Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas are where most 300's reside..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My pockets are shallow, Don't plan on restoring as I have already sold to many parts off it. I'm in Northern Ca. What should I ask for such a motor, I don't think many people around here looking for this motor to rebuild.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
complete motor, non-running ?, i'd say around 200 or 300 dollars is what I would ask for it around here where I am.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Thank you, I have all the wires still connected to it too. Is there a way to see if it will start without a carburetor?
if you can get all the wire harness hooked up ?, then just hit the intake with a short burst of starting fluid. if it's a good motor ?, then it will hit for a couple secs :).

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
you'd be getting a generous offer of $200 in these parts for a motor that cannot be heard running.

if you can get it running it might fetch $350-$400 to the right buyer. but be ready to sit on it for a loooooooong time.

better off selling parts on ebay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.