Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 88 Honda 250x off my buddy, the previous owner had put a 12;1 wiseco piston in it and hmf pipe on it. it wasn't running right at first, so I pulled carb and cleaned it. it helped but wasn't full extent of problem. make a long story short it needed new cams and rockers due to exhaust rocker wear and exhaust lobe wear. So I did just that, new rockers, and stage 1 cam. I had it running pretty good but it was consistent high idle dude to carb insulator(connects carb to head) was leaking profusely through cracks. That was on a 122 main jet. which is way too small. Throttle cable was a little sticky. So I ordered a new throttle cable and carb insulator. installed both, now I can't get it to even start. I've got little slack in throttle cable, fuel/air mixture screw I've tried from 1 3/4 turn to 2 1/2 and still no luck. I'm at a loss on what to do next. I tried the 122 jet,130 and a 132. I have up to a 140 from 130, then just the 122.
brand new ngk dr8es-l plug.
any help and all input is greatly appreciated guys.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Have you checked to make sure it is still getting spark? I can't see why that would have changed except for bad luck, but it is worth it to check.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
You probably need to back track what you did to the carb. . . if you take a spray bottle, put some fuel in it and spray some in the carb will it start then? If so you have an issue in the carb. . . .You might also want to check the valve lash and decompression cable adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
valve lash seems to be fine, the shaft for the lever on decompression has a lot of in and out play? that's doesn't seem right to me at all

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got cylinder head cover off, put the pin back in, got it cleaned up and gonna put rtv on and put it back on and seal it, I don't think that's my culprit but not eliminating it, as I was able to start it just fine before I changed carb boot and throttle cable. But I guess we will see.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I got cylinder head cover off, put the pin back in, got it cleaned up and gonna put rtv on and put it back on and seal it, I don't think that's my culprit but not eliminating it, as I was able to start it just fine before I changed carb boot and throttle cable. But I guess we will see.
I did state for you to back track what you did to the carb..... I would of started there.?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will once I get it back together, I didn't get a good seal last time when I had it apart, was leaking a little oil...that was main reason I pulled it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help on a 91 honda trx250x

i just purchased a 1991 honda trx250x its getting good compression and going through one whole cycle but when it goes to go to the next cycle it stops on the exhaust cycle and when you go to kick start it will only turn through if you turn the flywheel backwars first then it goes and stops help what could this be

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Sounds like the kick return spring or gear is binding... remove the center plug on the left case cover, take a 17mm socket and turn the flywheel counter clockwise and see if you get any binding

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
TRX2fiveO
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing