Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,I am a Noob to the site and to quads.I was hoping to find a pdf manual for my Rig due Its entirely new to me.I have searched the forums before I am going to ask this,Does an 87 250X have an oil filter ? I just Traded my RM 125 for my first quad,I am diggin my 250X But Now Its time for some servicing.Any Suggestions on the best type of oil to run and if and where the oil filter is would be greatly appreciated.The engine is bone stock with only an FMF Powercore Exhaust.....

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! on the right side of the engine just above the brake pedal you will see a louvered cover held on by 3 or is it 4 10mm bolts the filter is in there, make sure you look at the new filter it is written on it "THIS SIDE OUT" I use Honda Oil only...GN4 10w40

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Very Much,Someone told me it was a screen and not a filter,and without a manual Its kinda tough to determine.I will locate somewhere I can get Honda Oil I figured That was the safest Bet But You never Know until you ask.Thank you for the welcome and the help

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, make sure you use Honda oil or oil designed for wet clutch systems or your clutch will start slipping.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
there is a screen but you have to split the case to get to it the likely hood of it being dirty is slim or they would have made it accessible.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, it would be a pain to get to that screen. I've never seen one of those screens real dirty, anyway.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
I think the purpose of them is to keep the heavy debris from entering the moving parts anyway.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I think the purpose of them is to keep the heavy debris from entering the moving parts anyway.
Yeah, that's what it does. It traps the bigger stuff down under that screen where it will lay in the bottom of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
Cool so that washer you dropped will just lie in the base until you decide to split the engine...LOL

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Cool so that washer you dropped will just lie in the base until you decide to split the engine...LOL
I think it will on a Honda, but on a Yamaha Raptor, it won't. I had one to break the heads off of all 6 bolts that held the one-way bearing onto the back of the flywheel. I got all the broken bolts out of the flywheel and bolted the new one-way bearing on with new bolts, but I could only dig out 4 of the heads. I decided I wouldn't going to split the cases to get 2 bolt heads and I figured they would just lay in the bottom of the engine. About a week later, one of the bolt heads got sucked up by the oil pump and locked the oil pump up and stripped the plastic oil pump gear. Now the POS knocks. I don't know why they don't use some sort of screen on the oil pump pick up.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the screen in the bottom of the Honda engines, to trap the bigger debris down in the bottom of the engine, so it will just lay there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tracked down an oil filter at a local bike shop,The oil on the other hand..... I will have to drive to Sacramento or close to get the Honda stuff and all I can find is either Maxima,Repsol,Motul,Golden Spectro.I live in the sticks and am 20 miles in any direction from any town So I kind of have to get what I can get.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I tracked down an oil filter at a local bike shop,The oil on the other hand..... I will have to drive to Sacramento or close to get the Honda stuff and all I can find is either Maxima,Repsol,Motul,Golden Spectro.I live in the sticks and am 20 miles in any direction from any town So I kind of have to get what I can get.
Plain old Castrol will work if you can't find anything else. I've used it before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will Find something that is certified for wet clutch,I don't wanna do any damage to my rig.I would rather not ride and wait for the correct oil.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I will Find something that is certified for wet clutch,I don't wanna do any damage to my rig.I would rather not ride and wait for the correct oil.
Castrol is designed for wet clutches. If it's JASO certified, it's designed for wet clutches. Honda recommends Honda GN4, though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I use pensoil, and i grind up old pieces of my kawasaki to make the little metal flakey stuff, It's just like Honda oil !!!! But seriously i would look into the maxima stuff just check to see if it has graphite in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts