Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First off I'm a new active member. However, I have benefited from the wisdom of this group here many times.
Here goes... We recieved the above mentioned quad in the shop with a starting issue. (Electric starter drags upon cramking.) it was leaking fuel out the bottom float drain when ingnition was turned. Pump would not shut off. They had installed a automotive fuel pump and wired it to the battery. And tapped. In to the pulse generator for the ignition on the fuel cut off relay...which was also was hacked into. Ordered the new factory fuel pump. I initally wired it the same way as the it came to the shop. Did not shut off same problem. Found the Honda Service Manual for the bike online and have it. Now that have corrected the wiring what the schematic says goes where. I have power to the CDI.. No power getting to the coil. Checking the continuity on the wires to the coil show good. Ground and positive are both good. I am stuck. Any help woul be enormously gratefull
Sorry for the long post.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
welcome to the forums. my guess would be that some where in the fuel cut-off relay, or the pulse generator ??, is where you need to start looking for your problem. the wiring has to be correct, or it won't fire the plug. I simply hate it when owners hack these up, and not think things through !.

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Great question thanks for taking on this project. Wow good job sofar!
The ignition section of the manual lists several other troubleshooting steps including checking the stator outputs
You get neutral and oil lights to come on before cranking? Did you fix the pump condition?
Unfortunately there's not a way to assure the condition of the CDI but if the engine turns and you can get it to sputter (with just a shot of starting fluid) for a second then good bet it's the CDI. Try tapping on the CDI while cranking sometimes you can get it to run.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
That sounds like a mess! I would replace every harness that was hacked on with used harnesses (can't buy them new anymore) that are in good condition before attempting to go any further. You can't diagnose ignition faults if you can't trust the harnesses... and by the time you use the wiring diagram in the service manual to trace, repair, and verify continuity through every wire, for every circuit on the bike... your labor hours invested have far exceeded the replacement value of every used harness!

Once all of the wiring harnesses are replaced (and all other components that were hacked on plugging into those harnesses) the bike will probably be fixed. So there may be nothing to do here... except fix it right.

Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shadetree... The fuel shut off relay that was "wired" into the bike was definately not the one for it. Spart from the fact that they connected it direct to the pulse generator and the feed off the pulse generator to CDI conneted to the green white. Which is ground for the alternator if i remember correctly. Also has a hacked setup for the fan. Won't go into that. The factory connectors for the fuel cut off have been cut off for the mickey mouse job they did. Goober....i have oil and neutral lights. The diode on the neutral light is good. I am looking for CDI, fuel shut off relay, and a coil. Considering the one on the bike is seriously swolen in the middle. I was working on it today and accidently crossed the hot for the fuel pump with the positive coil wire. The machine shorted. Disconnected the coil and no short. Had similar year model with same type coil (known good). Same thing. On the CDI and fuel shut off relay is there anyone that can send me a pick of where the pins are supposed to be in the connectors. I want to be sure they are right.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Shadetree... The fuel shut off relay that was "wired" into the bike was definately not the one for it. Spart from the fact that they connected it direct to the pulse generator and the feed off the pulse generator to CDI conneted to the green white. Which is ground for the alternator if i remember correctly. Also has a hacked setup for the fan. Won't go into that. The factory connectors for the fuel cut off have been cut off for the mickey mouse job they did. Goober....i have oil and neutral lights. The diode on the neutral light is good. I am looking for CDI, fuel shut off relay, and a coil. Considering the one on the bike is seriously swolen in the middle. I was working on it today and accidently crossed the hot for the fuel pump with the positive coil wire. The machine shorted. Disconnected the coil and no short. Had similar year model with same type coil (known good). Same thing. On the CDI and fuel shut off relay is there anyone that can send me a pick of where the pins are supposed to be in the connectors. I want to be sure they are right.
if I had mine torn down ?, i'd take some pics for the pin lay out, they are just to much trouble getting to when its all together !..lol. I do agree with retro, buy a used wire harness, and fix it right :).

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I attached 4 photos I just snapped from my 87 TRX350D Foreman. The 2 pics with red connectors are the fuel pump relay. The 2 pics with white connectors are the DC-CDI. I hope this helps...

Note that the 87 TRX350D wiring harness, ignition switch, kill switch, stator, pulse coil, fuel pump relay and the entire ignition system is a one-of-a-kind DC-CDI ignition system... both in function and how the switches and relay are implemented. The 86 and 87 TRX350 is completely different with an AC-CDI ignition system. The 88 and up is completely different with a DC-CDI system that includes a "Revolution Research Line".

The 87 TRX350D wiring harnesses, switches, CDI, Stator, etc. do NOT interchange with any other year or model bike. Any attempt to swap parts among them will result in them going up in smoke. Guaranteed!

You can use Partzilla to find part numbers to aid in your searches for used parts and harnesses.

1987 TRX350D A Honda ATV Parts

Enjoy your work!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
I attached 4 photos I just snapped from my 87 TRX350D Foreman. The 2 pics with red connectors are the fuel pump relay. The 2 pics with white connectors are the DC-CDI. I hope this helps...

Note that the 87 TRX350D wiring harness, ignition switch, kill switch, stator, pulse coil, fuel pump relay and the entire ignition system is a one-of-a-kind DC-CDI ignition system... both in function and how the switches and relay are implemented. The 86 and 87 TRX350 is completely different with an AC-CDI ignition system. The 88 and up is completely different with a DC-CDI system that includes a "Revolution Research Line".

The 87 TRX350D wiring harnesses, switches, CDI, Stator, etc. do NOT interchange with any other year or model bike. Any attempt to swap parts among them will result in them going up in smoke. Guaranteed!

You can use Partzilla to find part numbers to aid in your searches for used parts and harnesses.

1987 TRX350D A Honda ATV Parts

Enjoy your work!
welllllllllllllllll...lol, your off a tad, the 1987 WILL interchange with 1988, and 1989, but will NOT swap into a 1986 !. all years from 1987 to 1989 ( usa models ) and 1990-up ( Canada ) will swap out, but the 1986 model is a breed of it's own, no other year models will swap out electrical parts cept a 1986 ONLY !.

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
No, I'm right... we been through this same argument before. It goes like this:

86 & 87 TRX350 models have an AC-CDI ignition system.
87 TRX350D model has a DC-CDI ignition system.
88 & up TRX350D models have a DC-CDI ignition system with a "Revolution Research Line" added.

So, there were three different ignition systems. The 87 TRX350D is one-of-kind because it is the ONLY DC-CDI ignition system that does not have the Revolution Research Line.

87 TRX350D Wiring harness and CDIs will not fit on any other year or model. No other year or model will fit on the 87 TRX350D either.

32100-HA7-750 WIRE HARNESS

30410-HA7-751 MODULE, IGN CONT $110.64

The service manual (section 17, Ignition System) explains all three of those systems and includes schematics of each to demonstrate the differences. Troubleshooting procedures differ for each as well, as the FSM outlines.

Some common parts do interchange with all years though. The ignition coil does I think. The fuel pump relay does... etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts