Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this baby and posted about it in the repair forum but moving it here. Gonna try to get her in good shape. Starts with starter fluid. I'm cleaning out the old cheapo carb and ordered a OEM carb (after shadetree shamed me for suggesting a china carb)

I decided to move the thread here since i'm planning on restoring it and the thread in the repair forum had the wrong quad type as the title LOL... first step is learning what bike you have

haven't done much engine work besides watching youtube for how to fix my boat when it breaks... i watched some vids and said hey i can do that!! so maybe i can figure out how to do this stuff... i'm more of a computer and electronics guy but want to learn...

here's some pics - ugly aftermarket carb included! i think i have all the fenders but the small front right one next to the driver's right knee, although half were held on with zipties

i'm going to replace all fluids, put an oem throttle on (it has a twist handle right now), find a light, get a new chain, and clean all the rusty parts i can. Needs a couple front brake line too but the rear one works. Anything else that it looks like i need to do? Is this thing supposed to have some kind of chain guard? It seems like it runs kind of close to the ground. Maybe the tires or wheels are supposed to be larger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
lol, didn't mean to shame ya bro ?..lol. it wasn't your fault some one used the wrong carb !..lol. at least you know what atv you have now, huh ?! :). looks like a good little project !. check the rear wheel bearings for sure !. sure has a ton of rust, looks like it sat outside for about 10 years ?..lol. I don't know much about sport atvs ?, mostly utility atvs is what I work on, there are some great members here that know the sport atvs inside out, better than me any way ?!..lol.

Reactions: chasdabigone

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
That rusty chain will be tough on front and rear sprocket teeth. You might consider changing the chain.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
It's the size of the teeth that matter more than chain length. You can always shorten a chain that is too long but the tooth size is permanent.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 200SX did have a small guard under the rear sprocket as stock. Looks like yours is missing. Get a good o-ring roller chain and change the sprockets at the same time. You can get "geared up" and "geared down" sprocket sets for this so you might want to get it running with what you have and take it for a spin to see if you like the current gearing.

Maier still makes plastics for these but they ain't cheap. I always wanted to get all blue plastics for mine but then I saw the price tag. Yikes!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Got a possible oem carb - the guy said he doesn't know anything about it but I just traded another old part for it anyways... lol

i got home and opened it and it's missing the float - Was thinking I can use the float from the cheapo carb until i get a good one - if this is the right carb... i looked at pics of the real one and it all looks the same - this came off a 1985 trx200... i took pics of it if someone could tell me if it looks like the right one - o yea it is nasty in there

oh also i got a throttle assembly with it - which this bike was missing! jackpot

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
you call that nasty ??..lol. too bad I can't find some pics of carbs I've done in the past 20 years...lmaoo. that's pretty clean considering it's that old !.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 200SX did have a small guard under the rear sprocket as stock. Looks like yours is missing. Get a good o-ring roller chain and change the sprockets at the same time. You can get "geared up" and "geared down" sprocket sets for this so you might want to get it running with what you have and take it for a spin to see if you like the current gearing.

Maier still makes plastics for these but they ain't cheap. I always wanted to get all blue plastics for mine but then I saw the price tag. Yikes!
i actually have most of the plastics! they were held on with zip ties though so i've got to figure it out... one step at a time... once my carb gets rebuilt i'll give her a spin and see about the gearing

·
Registered
264 Posts
Got a possible oem carb - the guy said he doesn't know anything about it but I just traded another old part for it anyways... lol

i got home and opened it and it's missing the float - Was thinking I can use the float from the cheapo carb until i get a good one - if this is the right carb... i looked at pics of the real one and it all looks the same - this came off a 1985 trx200... i took pics of it if someone could tell me if it looks like the right one - o yea it is nasty in there

oh also i got a throttle assembly with it - which this bike was missing! jackpot
The Honda part numbers for an '84 TRX200 carb and for an '87 TRX200SX are not even close according to Partzilla so if it was me I would keep searching for one. Not to say it couldn't work but...

(I know you said it was off an '85 but Honda didn't make the TRX200 in '85. At least not in the U.S. Only in '84.)

·
Registered
264 Posts
If that carb was from an '86 or '87 ATC200X I might give it a try as the 200X in those years was pretty close parts wise. Partzilla says they were different part numbers but I would *guess* they were close.

Also, keep in mind Honda made the 200SX four wheeler from '86 to '88 and all those years did use the same carb.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info... i'm gonna try this one now but keep my eyes open for the right one

i pulled it off a 4 wheeler - dunno if theres a way to find out the part number from the serial on the side

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
is there supposed to be a screw/bolt in this spot? there's one on the other side where the arm meets the axle (don't know the proper terms)... I can't find it in the manual
Yes! I've never seen a 200sx but that certainly looks like your swing arm, and that should most definitely be bolted up to the axle! (The same as the bolt above your axle in that pic) The bolt would go in parallel with the axle. I'm not sure what the rear facing hole is for below your finger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Yes, you will need it. It also keeps the axle level to the bike as well as tensioning the chain, similar to keeping the chain under tension on a BMX bike. Both sides need to be equal.
Remember, the chain should NEVER be tight, I needs a certain amount of 'slack'. Also, when you sit on your ATV and the suspension compresses the chain will get tighter, it should tell you that in the manual I'd have thought.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Just looked at your picture again.
Honda may have used the same mount for both sides of the swingarm so the tensioner holes may be both sides. If there is nowhere for a tensioner to fit then that side in the picture must just bolt up tight.
I'd have thought both sides would of had a tensioner though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just looked at your picture again.
Honda may have used the same mount for both sides of the swingarm so the tensioner holes may be both sides. If there is nowhere for a tensioner to fit then that side in the picture must just bolt up tight.
I'd have thought both sides would of had a tensioner though.
I was wrong - there is a spot for it. I thought it was supposed to attach somewhere forward of the axle

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.