Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys I just joined - got my hands on a 1987 trx 250 in ok shape. It has a twist pull throttle added, but the good news is I already have an OEM throttle from a 1984 trx 200 parts/not running bike I got with it, already set up for the "top mount" kind of throttle too.

i got the 1987 to run but the carb needs cleaning and it's already a cheapo so i just ordered a new 20 dollar one (said it was keihin on ebay - LOL!). It is missing an air box so I need to decide what filter to get - an old sock will do to get it runnin... i'm gonna change out all the oil and oil filter too, and oil the gears - anything else I should do?

the working bike i have has a rope attached to the pull starter. I 3d printed a handle to tie on for now but I was wondering if I can buy a kick starter piece off ebay and just slap it in to kick start it. The pull start rope is pretty short so it doesn't pull too far and kick starting seems way easier.
I also have a working pull start on the 1984 parts bike - how tough is it to swap those without breaking something? The engine sounds really good so I don't want to mess it up!

I'll post pics soon

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
welcome to the forums, try to stick with one atv at a time bro ?, too confusing to see which one you want to fix here ?..lol. as for the trx250 ?, odds are, it won't run well on a china carb for 20 bucks ?..lol. for 20 bucks, you could have just purchased a carb rebuild kit for the oem carb, and got her running great again. it would be best to buy a air box off ebay, and try to get all the parts back on it to specs, then it will run really good. don't go '' jerry '' rigging it, just because your ready to ride ?!.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welcome to the forums, try to stick with one atv at a time bro ?, too confusing to see which one you want to fix here ?..lol. as for the trx250 ?, odds are, it won't run well on a china carb for 20 bucks ?..lol. for 20 bucks, you could have just purchased a carb rebuild kit for the oem carb, and got her running great again. it would be best to buy a air box off ebay, and try to get all the parts back on it to specs, then it will run really good. don't go '' jerry '' rigging it, just because your ready to ride ?!.
hey sorry - i am talking about the 1987 trx 250 right now to fix. just mentioned that 1984 one because i don't know if the pull starters are interchangable and thought someone might...

i don't have an oem carb! they both have cheapo carbs on em already with that "top mount" throttle already setup - i'm gonna try to find an oem one but ebay is too expensive for me atm (more than i paid for these 2 bikes)... believe me i'd love to have all oem parts on this baby - i like the looks of it more than the new ones

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
hey sorry - i am talking about the 1987 trx 250 right now to fix. just mentioned that 1984 one because i don't know if the pull starters are interchangable and thought someone might...

i don't have an oem carb! they both have cheapo carbs on em already with that "top mount" throttle already setup - i'm gonna try to find an oem one but ebay is too expensive for me atm (more than i paid for these 2 bikes)... believe me i'd love to have all oem parts on this baby - i like the looks of it more than the new ones
it will never run right with that carb ?, you need an oem carb back on it, where are you located ?, if in the states ?, my bud may have a trx250 carb he'll let go , not sure ?, and don't know what he will want for it ?. most used carbs he sells goes around 100 bucks, and you will need to clean them, and put a carb rebuild kit in it.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
and no, you can't put a pull starter on that trx250 :).

Reactions: SamUK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
most used carbs he sells goes around 100 bucks
thats about what they are going for on ebay too - i agree it will run better with oem carb and am gonna get one but i just want to make sure nothing explodes before i drop hundreds into it... is that dumb?

plus i was thinking maybe i could find one locally for cheaper but get it running in the meantime

lol... it has one on it with a rope attached - dunno if it has been modded or if i have the model wrong... i'll get some pics soon

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
thats about what they are going for on ebay too - i agree it will run better with oem carb and am gonna get one but i just want to make sure nothing explodes before i drop hundreds into it... is that dumb?

plus i was thinking maybe i could find one locally for cheaper but get it running in the meantime
if you jut want to hear it run ?, give it a short burst of starting fluid, if it's gonna run ?, it will fire off that, it won't keep it running ?, but it's just a crank over test so to speak ?. then you know to sink a few hundred bucks into it to get it to run right. and no, it's not dumb to check stuff ?, but there is a right way, and a wrong way to check stuff ?, and you trying to run it with the wrong carb is not the right way :).

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

lol... it has one on it with a rope attached - dunno if it has been modded or if i have the model wrong... i'll get some pics soon
modded, the 1987 trx250 utilitys DID NOT COME WITH A PULL STARTER ROPE !.LOL. they had electric start, and kick start, that's all they had.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
we need a pic of your atv, it can't be a 1987 trx 250.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

modded, the 1987 trx250 utilitys DID NOT COME WITH A PULL STARTER ROPE !.LOL. they had electric start, and kick start, that's all they had.
yeah my bad, it's a trx200sx - just looked at the title - i was just going by what my buddy told me... its raining outside so i dont wanna go poke around under the tarp just now... at least i found out before ordering oem carb lol... and it looks like they are 20 bucks on ebay for an oem one

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts

yeah my bad, it's a trx200sx - just looked at the title - i was just going by what my buddy told me... its raining outside so i dont wanna go poke around under the tarp just now... at least i found out before ordering oem carb lol... and it looks like they are 20 bucks on ebay for an oem one
mark my word, you won't find a trx200sx oem carb for 20 bucks !!..lol. no oem carb is going to cost that cheap..i'll bank on it !!..that's a china knock-off carb, want to make a bet on it ???..lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mark my word, you won't find a trx200sx oem carb for 20 bucks !!..lol. no oem carb is going to cost that cheap..i'll bank on it !!..that's a china knock-off carb, want to make a bet on it ???..lol.
you are right, i found that out after looking at them a little closer... but the good news is i found one locally i'm trading a fender off the parts bike for... he sent a pic and it's got the KEI HIN on the side of the metal so i hope that means it is real

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
you are right, i found that out after looking at them a little closer... but the good news is i found one locally i'm trading a fender off the parts bike for... he sent a pic and it's got the KEI HIN on the side of the metal so i hope that means it is real
Get on google and familiarise yourself with genuine carbs and Chinese Junkers, you'll see the differences. It's pays to know.

Reactions: shadetree

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Get on google and familiarise yourself with genuine carbs and Chinese Junkers, you'll see the differences. It's pays to know.
or, you can look them up on Honda dealers ships web sites when searching for parts like partzilla, rocky mountain atv, and compare the oem carbs to china knock-offs. anytime you see a carb on ebay for 20-40 bucks ?, it's a freaking china knock-off for sure !..lol.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Also, KeiHin are Japanese made carbs, and most Hondas of that era are fitted with them I believe. As I said though, check out images on Google incase it's a Chinese knock off/copy.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
if it is oem ?, just buy a carb rebuild kit, don't bother trying to clean the old jets ?, it's faster and easier just to put a carb rebuild kit back in it. they cost about 20 something bucks on ebay, I use shindy carb rebuild kits most times.

Reactions: SamUK

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks guys i'm checkin it out trying to learn... its a lot of stuff at once... but a youtube vid for everything... i'll get a rebuild kit when i make sure i have the right carb

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
thanks guys i'm checkin it out trying to learn... its a lot of stuff at once... but a youtube vid for everything... i'll get a rebuild kit when i make sure i have the right carb
good deal. I've got a '05 trx500fm project going in the build section, if you want to see what I do ?, give that a look, then you will see just how deep I go in my builds..lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.