Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Honda TRX 350 -A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. I'm new to this forum. I Have a 1987 Honda Fourtrax (TRX350-A) in nice shape that I use regularly. I squeezed the left brake handle to put the bike in reverse the other day and the rear brake never released. The handle and foot pedal both remained stuck in place as did the brake lever arm at the drum. The shoes were pressed to the drum so tight I couldn't move the quad backwards or forwards. I put a kid's toboggan under each of the back tires and dragged the quad into a warm shop and thawed it out in case that was the issue. That didn't help.

The next day I removed the wheel,drum cover and cables trying to possibly remove the drum, but it was really stuck. I tried to use penetrating oil on the brake arm and hitting it with a mallet, but I couldn't get it to move. I'm starting to wonder if maybe one of the shoe return springs has snapped causing the shoes to wedge on the drum. My next course of action is to try to remove the whole brake assembly along with the backing plate and bring it to a machine shop or replace with some new/used parts.

I was wondering if once I remove the 4 nuts on the outside of the backing plate, will the brake assembly slide off, or are there snap rings or bolts under the drum holding things in place. I did loosen them off and tried tapping it softly with a mallet, and it didn't seem to want to move.

Is this the best course of action? Just seeing if there are any suggestions. I've included some pictures. In the picture of the backing plate, I'm pointing at the nuts with a screwdriver.

Thanks!
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Hubcap
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Musical instrument Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wheel Tread Vehicle brake Rim

·
Registered
79 Posts
The last time I ran into this it was because the brake lining had separated from the base and got wedged into the drum - it was ugly to get apart alright. Once the bolts you show are removed, it should slide off with a bit of effort (no retainers inside that I know of). It will be stuck on the splines but should be doable with the right amount of cussing of course, haha!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, I was able to with copious WD40 and gentle persuasion, you can't beat on that aluminum cast at all! Once it was anchored on the bench, pry bars to work it from various points. It was a real challenge to do - a few drinks were downed after finishing that one!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts