Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine will turn and I can hear the piston bumping up and down, but it won't start. It was overheated pretty bad yesterday and the oil pan was completely dry and smoking. This has happened before and it started right back up a few hours later with new oil. I'm sure someone else has had this happen before, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Do you have any compression??? Welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Yeah, like Red said, check to see if you have compression.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the welcomes, and how can I find if I have compression? I don't have any meters or equipment for it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Take your spark plug out and hold your thumb tight over the spark plug hole and crank the engine over. You shouldn't be able to hold the pressure. It should blow your thumb off the hole.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Start by removing the spark plug, and putting your finger over the hole. Then when you crank the motor you should AT LEAST feel the pressure on your finger.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^^^agreed. You can also get a cheap comp. gauge at an auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
^^^^agreed. You can also get a cheap comp. gauge at an auto parts store.
Yeah, that's the best way and they're handy to have around for future problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was told that driving high RPMs all the time in gear 1 destroys the engine, and thats my life story on nasty mud roads, so could it be a bad CDI? or coils?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Check to make sure you have fire to the plug and it's getting gas.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If it's firing a bright, blue spark at the plug, take the plug out and pour a little gas down in the spark plug hole. Quickly put the plug back in before the gas evaporates. Put the spark plug wire back on and crank the engine and see if it will start. If it starts for a second or two, then then you have a carb problem. Make sure your kill switch is in the "run" position.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^^^What he said I can't type that fast... Lol

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
From all of us to you, you are very welcome!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, it was a very simple problem. I overheated it, and the heat was soooo intense, that it melted and burned straight through the ignition cable and the brake line.

that repair should be easy.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Glad you got it figured out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
wow... the fix to get it to run again may be simple... but overheating it that badly would leave a lot more damage than that....damage that you cant see.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
agreed, you may have warped something...

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
if it over heated at all..sounds like there isn't oil getting through the engine ?..oil pump may have stoped working...check to make sure your getting oil to the top end..remove the valve covers.crank it up..see if your getting oil ?...like stated..more than likely your piston rings..valves..clylinder is worn pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts