Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1987 Honda 350D for a couple bucks on craigslist one day. The front swingarm was broke.. I replaced that. The starter/ignition coil/seat/brake parts.. maybe are all missing. I have installed a starter and ignition coil, it turns over nicely but no spark... not sure if the CDI is bad or I am missing other parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I would refer to your Manuel and make sure you have everything first. Welcome to the Forums

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Start a thread in either the Repair/Maintenance forum or the Builds/DIY/Projects forum so we can follow along and help if need be. You can get a copy of the service manual HERE, you'll definitely need one to work on your 350D.

Note that the 87 350D ignition system is unique to the 87 350D, only the pulse generator and ignition coil interchanges with other year models. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
@shadetree will be a great guy to talk to about this. He knows the ins and outs of the 350d

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Yup as Retro mentioned consider starting a project thread so we can subscribe or follow your resurrection of this venerable beast.
Welcome. I hope to be of help to you on your ambitious project
Manual and parts link below.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol so I read sometimes you just have to bang on the CDI box to get it working again..... well it worked. Not sure how reliable that is going to be, but for now she is back running. Long road ahead cleaning the fuel tank out and getting the pump working.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You do not have to bang on the CDI box the early years had some recessed pins and / or prone to it after all these years take your pick. I have found several recessed pins or broken connectors on my 350,s at the CDI box. Pull the connector to the CDI box and shine a bright lite on the pins then see if one is pushed back (recessed) in the plastic connector.
Regards

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Lol so I read sometimes you just have to bang on the CDI box to get it working again..... well it worked. Not sure how reliable that is going to be, but for now she is back running. Long road ahead cleaning the fuel tank out and getting the pump working.

It will fail again.. the “lightly tapping” Trick is only a temporary fix.. Best be looking for a replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have to do some investigating and see if any of the pins are pushed back. More than likely I should probably start looking for a new CDI if there are any out there that are any good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would absolutely check the pins in the connector first and you might save yourself some money on buying a new CDI box. If the pins (in the connector) are all clean and good then you know where to go next. Banging on the CDI is never the best choice but I understand how some come to this conclusion which can actually induce damage to the CDI box.
I hope you get it running as you just don't find other 30+ year old ATV,S out there and these were the most durable ATV ever produced!! IMHO

·
Premium Member
4,702 Posts
Lol ... Long road ahead cleaning the fuel tank out and getting the pump working.
You might have heard about using vinegar to clean out the rust. I removed my fuel tank and petcock. Make sure the tank drain bolt is removable. Plug and or duct tape the petcock holes. Fill tank w 2 gals of vinegar and pound or two of BBs. BBs because they can get into small areas, won’t dent like nuts and bolts and won’t get trapped in the bulkheads like washers.
Put cap on and tape vent hole. I wrapped tank in bubble wrap and secured in a cardboard box. Wedged box into my little cement mixer and let it run for three hours or so; vinegar will distort rubber so don’t soak the cap seal or petcock overnight. Use a tiny tube brush to clean the petcock tubes and don’t ram too far or you’ll damage the intake screen.
Pour out vinegar and BBs into a bucket and save in case you need to do again. Remove drain plug. Rinse tank with water mixed with some high pH hot tub powder (rust can’t form under high pH). Dry tank immediately with hair dryer or heat gun but watch out you don’t burn the paint.
Inspect tank if you’re not happy do it again.

I had scaley rust in my tank and had to a vinegar soak twice and third time used the mixer. Looks like a brushed nickel in there now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you remove the fuel unit before starting this cleaning process? I can't get the float to come out on mine...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts