Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Just had a quick question, hoping someone could offer some advice. I have this older atv, basically just to boot around at the lake lot. Last summer was driving and started hearing some grinding noises from the rear end and before I could get home I lost all power to the rear wheels. So just finished taking the rear end out now, I can clearly see that the spline that is in the rear diff is very worn down....looks like the seals were shot too so I assume some water got in there ( I've only got the thing this summer ) So axles are a dime a dozen on ebay but if I needed the gear as well I can't find that anywhere. So just wondering if anyone has experienced a worn out spline in the diff where all you had to do was replace the axle and not necessarily the gear....hoping the spline wears quicker than the gear...with just an eye inspection the gear looks fine but I don't think I can really tell until you put a new axle in and check for play.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

J

Premium Member
Yup gotta keep oil in em.
Download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below.
You could buy a complete used rear drive

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yup gotta keep oil in em.
Download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below.
You could buy a complete used rear drive
Thanks for the link to the manual, that's super helpful! Got everything pulled apart and gear was definitely shot too. Luckily local atv parts yard had a gear and axle in really good condition. Now just wait for all the bearings and seals to come in and get it back together. Thanks again for the help and resources!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts