Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this forum. Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared. I am reviving the foreman mentioned above. After a few days of work, I took a few victory laps around the house. Parked it in the driveway. Went to put it in the garage, but the fuel pump will not activate when key is turned and the machine has no spark. I followed the manual's troubleshooting guides. However, most of the troubleshooting is related to EITHER ignition OR fuel. I haven't seen documentation addressing conditions where both fuel pump and spark are down.

Here's what I've done:
  • Fully charged battery
  • Neutral light and oil temp lights are active
  • Confirmed all fuses in fuse box are good. (couldn't find "main fuse"?)
  • Confirmed 12v is passing through the kill switch
  • Confirmed 12v is coming into the CDI
  • Installed new CDI
  • Jumped the fuel cutoff relay per the manual and the fuel pump activated
  • Tested the pulse generator. Resistance matches a new part I picked up
  • Coil was replaced just before the victory lap. Resistance checks out. Cap is secure.
  • I've confirmed grounds have continuity at the CDI, Fuel Pump, and so on
  • The stator indicates resistance within specs, but I will re-confirm because I have the least confidence in this measurement.
My assumption is the coil and fuel relay are both controlled by the Black/Yellow wire from the CDI and this ire isn't providing signal. From what I have reviewed, I am unable to confirm the exact conditions the CDI requires to make that happen. Any advise on what I am overlooking?

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Did you buy all OEM parts?
The 87 D model has a single year CDI; the 86-87 TRX350A CDI doesn’t work, nor does the 88-89 TRX350D Revolution Research Line CDI. Sellers don’t always know this; a new OEM CDI is a great start.

·
Premium Member
4,586 Posts
Same with the stator—test the pulse generator and stator resistances. Page 18- something. The three yellow wires will have 0.1 to 0.2 Ohms from pole to pole and zero continuity thru the chassis. Disco the rec/rec first

get some permatex dielectric grease, contact cleaner and plumbers flux brushes. Every time you open a connection, clean it and apply a light film of the dielectric grease on the contacts and backshells. It will make connections easier to disco and reconnect

A faulty Fan Control Unit will also inhibit ignition. Perform the overheat diagnostic on page 20-2? “When ignition switched on Does neutral light come on steady and does oil light come on momentarily and then go out.”

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great feedback. Thank you. I really appreciate a few more leads on where to go next. I will keep this thread updated. Meanwhile all other contributions are welcomed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts