Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I found the right forum - I just recently traded a 2001 Big Bear for a couple of four wheelers. A 92 Fourtrax 300 than runs like a champ and a 1987 350D that doesn't. It has no spark and was missing the air box, snorkel, battery, ignition switch, and some plastic parts.

Progress so far: The airbox parts are here, but I'm waiting until I get it running to worry much about that. The new battery is installed, and the new ignition switch. I got it turning over without too much trouble. I did the troubleshooting from the service manuals and came up with a bad CDI. The CDI will have to wait until next month but l should have enough to keep me occupied until then. The previous owner was concerned that it would be an electrical nightmare, but so far it hasn't been too bad. There are some connectors that lead to nowhere and a couple of broken wires but so far nothing too drastic. Yet.

I'm excited to get this thing going. I have heard a lot of good about these machines.

Here's a couple pictures of my new wreck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Awesome! First thing I noticed is your rear fenders are in pretty good shape, I'm in envy... :) The rear rack is cut up just like mine is too, don't know why people hack up stuff and throw so many parts away... Looking forward to seeing your progress on this finely engineered machine!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Progress today:
Got the dash lights wired in. Neutral light worked right off the bat.

Reverse light didn't work at first, but I traced it to a loose connection and it works now.

The oil temp light wouldn't come on so I had to chase it down, and here's the interesting part. I traced the blue and red wire to the fan control unit. I got battery voltage across the blue/red and green terminals. When touched together the oil light comes on. That's supposed to mean a faulty fan control unit.

Here's the other half of the story. I also fixed a damaged wire from the fan itself. Now it kicks on as soon as you turn on the key and stays on all the time. I don't know if this was somebody's quick fix or his permanent solution. I'm concerned it might overwork the fan motor if I don't fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
What does the oil temp sensor ohm out at? If I remember correctly its suppose to be in the 10.5k range at room temp..?

With the oil temp sensor unplugged at the sensor and with the key turned on, when you ground the blue wire at the sensor the fan should run and the oil temp light should come on to indicate proper operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.