Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 87 honda 250 fourtrax i was wondering if it has an accelerator pump to take it from idle to the main jet setting..the reason i am asking is because if you put it in gear and dump the throttle it bogs alittle and takes slowly..but if you ease the throttle down it takes it just fine and runs great .. or could it be the 3rd that i am just asking this old bke to launch when it was not made to do so :yeahbaby01:

·
Super Moderator
18,230 Posts
Im assuming this is a utility quad, but that don't matter. at Idle to 1/4 throttle you are using the slow jet if you are having bogging issues in this area of the throttle then your Jet may be clogged some. form 1/4 to about 1/2 is the mid range throttle controlled by the needle issues here require the needle to be adjusted up or down up for less fuel down for more fuel. Your main jet controls about 1/2 to wide open throttle bogging on the topend could be either too small of a jet or too large depending on what your spark plug looks like. I Hope this helps you?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
It's been years since I owned one of the Fourtrax 250's, but if I remember correctly I don't think they have an accelerator pump. Like Moose said, your carb might just need a good cleaning. Also, make sure the rubber diaphragm in the top of the carb is in good condition.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i will check that soon it is raining right now..but that now is the least of my worries while checking out the rear axle dope level i over tightened the cap and pulled the threads off ..now i have to find a cap ...heavy hands well i have learned from that mistake

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
thanks guys i will check that soon it is raining right now..but that now is the least of my worries while checking out the rear axle dope level i over tightened the cap and pulled the threads off ..now i have to find a cap ...heavy hands well i have learned from that mistake
I've never over tightened one of those caps, but I'm bad about twisting bolts off. It just seems like they aren't the least bit tight, and then pop. LOL. Even knowing that I'm bad about twisting them off, I still do it often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never over tightened one of those caps, but I'm bad about twisting bolts off. It just seems like they aren't the least bit tight, and then pop. LOL. Even knowing that I'm bad about twisting them off, I still do it often.
i am wondering if jb weld will hold it good enough to seal the oil in .....:moshiz:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i am wondering if jb weld will hold it good enough to seal the oil in .....:moshiz:
I don't know. It might, but make sure you get all the oil cleaned off where you're going to put the JB Weld. It'll hold a lot better if it don't have oil on it. If you put JB Weld on the threads, it might be hard to get off later, if you put a new cap on it.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
the threads poped off right up next to the cap(the underside of the cap)
Oh Ok, then you would have to put the JB Weld on the outside. It might work. Like I said, just clean off all the oil before you put the JB Weld on and let it dry for a full 24 hours and it might hold. Just keep a close watch on it for a while until you see if it's going to hold or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i cleaned it with acetone and a tooth brush applied the jb and put it in a c-clamp going to let it set like that for a few days lets hope:lifting:

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
i cleaned it with acetone and a tooth brush applied the jb and put it in a c-clamp going to let it set like that for a few days lets hope:lifting:
Sounds like you cleaned it good. I believe it will hold. Acetone was a good choice to get the oil off. That's what I use to clean all my gasket surfaces, after I scrape the old gasket off. Acetone does a real good job of dissolving oils and it dries quick, without leaving any residue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just an update the jb weld held very nicely and after putting a battery in (the original honda batt) it even seems to run better...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Glad to here you got it fixed. The new batt. will cause it to run better if the old one was in really bad shape. What happends is the batt. is taking voltage to kepp it charged and thus takes away a small amount of voltage from the plug causing a weaker spark.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Glad you got her lined out, man.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Cool bro,Glad to here that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts