Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Honda 4 wheeler a couple weeks ago for 200 and found it’s problem was no spark. I did all the wire checking and the ohms testing and everything pointed to the cdi being bad so I ordered a cheap 15.00 eBay one that said it was specifically for the 87-88 trx 125. When it arrived I plugged it in and still no spark. I tried everything I could think of and fooled around with it for several hours but still nothing. Then I started looking at some of the ones for sale that actually had the pins labeled and they all showed the black/white kill switch wire on the top of the two wire plug and the OEM Honda is on the bottom. I thought that must be why it didn’t work, it was feeding ac current from the stator into the kill switch. so I undid the wires from the plug and switched them around thinking I’ve got this thing licked now but still nothing. Then not being able to come up with anything else to try I decided to undo the red/black wire from the stator and plug it into 12 volt dc current going to the cdi and low and behold I got a nice consistent blue spark and it started right up. Once I had it figured out I hooked the red/black wire to the black wire coming from the ignition switch so it would turn the 12 volt dc power on and off. So if you’re chasing a no spark situation and trying to use one of the cheap cdi boxes this is probably why it’s not working. I added a diagram comparing the OEM pin out and the el-cheapo that needs the 2 wire plug reversed and 12 volt DC input on the red/black wire.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts