Honda ATV Forum banner

1987 350d brake cylinders

6K views 72 replies 5 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been referencing this forum a lot for info but this is the first time I've posted and I'm in desperate need of some help.
I recently bought an old 1987 Honda 350d Fourtrax and got it running. Now I need to tackle the front brakes. Basically water has got in the shoe many years ago and the x2 cylinders are beyond repair.
Honda don't make these anymore and I can't find any used ones. Can I use some from newer models or does anybody know where I can find some?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Callum

#2 ·
welcome to the forums. try looking on ebay. 1986-1989 all are the same for those, but the front brake drum for the 1986 is NOT the same.

#13 ·
I've got some, some for a '87-'89, and I think I also have some from a '86 ?. if the members come on later, and they don't have what you need ?, then we'll see if I can get you what you need..ok ?.

#14 ·
and seeing how a bro helped me out with some parts just the other day ?, i'm going to pay this forward, and just let you pay for the shipping, how's that ? :).

Reactions: _Wilson_
#15 ·
Have you tried Quad parts direct or quad bikes wales? Quad parts direct are cheaper and generally nicer to deal with, quadbikeswales are in it for the money and I find them rude, I avoid using them if I can.

#16 ·
Also, you could try asking rodp (my dad) on here, he's got some still fitted, the condition is unknown though as far as I'm aware. He bought it as a donor bike, some parts were already missing but try him, you may get lucky if you need other parts.

#17 ·
thanks samUK !, you and your dad is who I had in mind..lol. remember though, if these places you speak of ^^^ > are dealers for new Honda parts ?, unless they stock NOS parts ?, they will be discontinued with them as well ?.

#18 ·
No problem, were all here to help aren't we :)
They are ATV dealers yes, QuadBikesWales is a dealer and breakers, Quad parts direct often have NOS, they were just the two that came to mind for odd and discontinued parts.
Got to be worth a look I suppose.

Cburt, not sure if your aware but even if the seals are past there best in cylinders you can take the old one along with the cylinder to most bearing & seal suppliers and they will be able to find you something to do the job or get you some made to order.

#19 ·
Several breaking 350D's on ebay but as Sam says I may have some. I'll have to check them out but in all honesty by the state of this donor atv I'm not holding my breath. lol

#21 ·
Cburt, just a thought, you don't want to sell the 350d as it is do you by any chance? Wouldn't mind another to rebuild.

#25 ·
Rodp, thanks for the interest but it's a true barn find always wanted one and it's taken me 3 weeks to get it going so it's my pride and joy. Not keen on selling at all. Just out of curiosity tho how much is something like that worth? I guess it's hard to say without seeing it

#29 ·
Don't really want to sell anything off it but if you're stuck I'll let the cylinders go (assuming they're good of course). The rest of it I'll keep for when a rebuild turns up.
You've obviously now found out that over here these are more of a collectors item than a usable atv now due to no parts available. If you want one that's repairable and parts are relatively available you need to move to a 300.

For good plastics you may end up buying what you can get then buying a plastic welder and hot stapler, about £200 each unfortunately.
A 350D with decent plastics, and running, will set you back £1200+. With bad plastics, rusty frame and rims etc, sort of running but untested for any length of time and you're talking £400 and up (a rough but running quad)

Don't underestimate the time and money involved in rebuilding one of these, you will spend hundreds of £££££££ and lots of hours on it (I mean lots). Ask Shady, he knows all about the hours and $$$$$.:smile:

#28 ·
if and when you decided to get mine ?, let me know ?, and we can work out the shipping ?, as I said, no cost for the wheel cylinders ?, but you will need to pay for shipping to your side of the pond !..lol.

#30 ·
Shadetree, thanks for the kind offer but I'm more than happy to pay my way as a first time user of the site. I'll organise a courier to pick up from your location if that helps too? I'm not 100% the year of my quad so might need to confirm that before I put you thru the hassle. No sign of VIN number but I do have an engine number. Any other tell tale signs of how to separate the exact year?

#31 ·
Rodp, ok no problem I hope you don't mind me asking.
Yes definitely finding it's harder to get parts than expected although it is a 30 year old Quad I suppose!!
All the plastics arent a priority at the moment but thought I would ask all the same.
Once I get the brakes sorted everything is in good working condition and I plan to get out on a few treks with it as it's my first quad then perhaps as you say look to trade it for something a bit more useable.
I managed to get it for £250 off a good friend so think I've got a good deal. I'll use any future profit to put back into the bike and get it looking as good as I can.
Thanks for all your advice!!!

#33 ·
Yes, very good deal. I'd give you £400 for it unseen so long as it runs and transmission etc is OK ? I want a runner to restore, my 300 is almost finished (although there wasn't a lot to do to it) so looking at next personal project.
If no luck with the cylinders I'll check out the ones on this 350,but as I said, parts are very hard to get over here and I like to keep as much as possible. However, if you're stuck they're yours. Seems like parts are still much easier to find in the States, I was born in the wrong country I think. lol

#32 ·
A tip to showing your vin number.... I always get rid of the rust and crud with some emery cloth then try and polish it a little with lighter wet&Dry with some oil. Wipe the excess oil off and then lightly mist the area with some black Spray paint, wipe off the excess and your usually left with the vin showing, or at least some of it.
Last one I tried didn't show anything, I had to get a photo of it and enlarge it.

#36 ·
If it's the vin you're referring to it on a front cross member, look through the front panel and you MAY see it. lol...

You really need to persevere with cleaning and reading the vin, it's a useful thing to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.