Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have been referencing this forum a lot for info but this is the first time I've posted and I'm in desperate need of some help.
I recently bought an old 1987 Honda 350d Fourtrax and got it running. Now I need to tackle the front brakes. Basically water has got in the shoe many years ago and the x2 cylinders are beyond repair.
Honda don't make these anymore and I can't find any used ones. Can I use some from newer models or does anybody know where I can find some?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Callum

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
welcome to the forums. try looking on ebay. 1986-1989 all are the same for those, but the front brake drum for the 1986 is NOT the same.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
what makes you think they are too far gone ??, I've had wheel cylinders that looked like they were to bad to most ?, but I've always saved them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing on eBay but I'll keep a close eye. I seen some cylinders for much newer models that look pretty similar but have been told today from a local quad bike breakers that they wouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Nothing on eBay but I'll keep a close eye. I seen some cylinders for much newer models that look pretty similar but have been told today from a local quad bike breakers that they wouldn't work.
where are you located ?.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they're toast. Can't get the pistons out, tried everything - heat, diesel, penetrating oil etc. The guy before me obviously had a good go without knowing what he was doing and the upper lip where the seal goes has been demolished.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I think they're toast. Can't get the pistons out, tried everything - heat, diesel, penetrating oil etc. The guy before me obviously had a good go without knowing what he was doing and the upper lip where the seal goes has been demolished.
a zerk, and a grease gun pops them out, but sense you used heat ?, you prob ruined the piston seal ?.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
there is a few members over on your side, wait and see if they have what you need ? :).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The seal was ruined before I got anywhere near it to be honest and was running out of options. Pistons don't budge. I'll send a photo of the unit tomorrow if that helps

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
If you have some I will happily pay the international shipping worst case
I've got some, some for a '87-'89, and I think I also have some from a '86 ?. if the members come on later, and they don't have what you need ?, then we'll see if I can get you what you need..ok ?.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
and seeing how a bro helped me out with some parts just the other day ?, i'm going to pay this forward, and just let you pay for the shipping, how's that ? :).

Reactions: _Wilson_

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Have you tried Quad parts direct or quad bikes wales? Quad parts direct are cheaper and generally nicer to deal with, quadbikeswales are in it for the money and I find them rude, I avoid using them if I can.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Also, you could try asking rodp (my dad) on here, he's got some still fitted, the condition is unknown though as far as I'm aware. He bought it as a donor bike, some parts were already missing but try him, you may get lucky if you need other parts.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Also, you could try asking rodp (my dad) on here, he's got some still fitted, the condition is unknown though as far as I'm aware. He bought it as a donor bike, some parts were already missing but try him, you may get lucky if you need other parts.
thanks samUK !, you and your dad is who I had in mind..lol. remember though, if these places you speak of ^^^ > are dealers for new Honda parts ?, unless they stock NOS parts ?, they will be discontinued with them as well ?.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
No problem, were all here to help aren't we :)
They are ATV dealers yes, QuadBikesWales is a dealer and breakers, Quad parts direct often have NOS, they were just the two that came to mind for odd and discontinued parts.
Got to be worth a look I suppose.

Cburt, not sure if your aware but even if the seals are past there best in cylinders you can take the old one along with the cylinder to most bearing & seal suppliers and they will be able to find you something to do the job or get you some made to order.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Several breaking 350D's on ebay but as Sam says I may have some. I'll have to check them out but in all honesty by the state of this donor atv I'm not holding my breath. lol

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
ATV City are breaking one as well, just looked.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.