Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am new here and I have a question about my TRX300. I started to notice some noise coming from my motor the other day and it started to blow smoke. I tore it down and the cylinder was a little marked up. I ordered a new piston and ring's kit, had the machine work done and now I am stuck. I can rebuild a 2 stroke but don't know much about the 4 stroke's. How do i set the timing on this thing? also The piston that I got was .050 over do I have to re-jet the carb? If so what jet should I use? Also on a 2 stroke I know that you have to re adjust the needle and run at wot and check plug and re adjust as necessary but how do I do it on a 4 stroke? Thank you all very much in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Are you sure it's an '86? I don't think they started making the Fourtrax 300 until 1988. If it's an '86, it might be a Fourtrax 350. Let me know for sure if it's the 300 or 350 and I'll post instructions for timing it.

You shouldn't have to worry about rejetting it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums. Are you sure it's an '86? I don't think they started making the Fourtrax 300 until 1988. If it's an '86, it might be a Fourtrax 350. Let me know for sure if it's the 300 or 350 and I'll post instructions for timing it.

You shouldn't have to worry about rejetting it.
It is a 1989. I was wrong lol sorry about that. I was told it was an 86 but I just checked the plate and it is an 89. I am glad I will not have to re jet that will save me some money.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Here you go. Just make sure you put the cam in with the lobes facing down. You don't have to make that tool to retract the timing chain tensioner. You can use a small flat screwdriver to retract it. You just have to hold it in the retracted position until you get the tensioner bolted back on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Helmut you are a god. I have been reading a lot of the posts here and you seem to know everything about these machines. Thank you. This will make my day tomorrow much more easy. Ok so now after i get the timing set how do I go about setting the needle with the clip on it? Thank You

Bill

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Helmut you are a god. I have been reading a lot of the posts here and you seem to know everything about these machines. Thank you. This will make my day tomorrow much more easy. Ok so now after i get the timing set how do I go about setting the needle with the clip on it? Thank You

Bill
I don't think you will need to rejet or adjust the needle, either one, because of the 0.50 overbore. It should be fine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here you go. Just make sure you put the cam in with the lobes facing down. You don't have to make that tool to retract the timing chain tensioner. You can use a small flat screwdriver to retract it. You just have to hold it in the retracted position until you get the tensioner bolted back on.

Hi, i'm new to this forum too :) i got a trx 350 1986 do you have this timing file for this or a link. I got an noise coming from the engine when its cold. Ithink there a loose in the timing chain i got to check this out. a lot of smoke too in warm up.

ThX love this forum !!
Pat

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Hi, i'm new to this forum too :) i got a trx 350 1986 do you have this timing file for this or a link. I got an noise coming from the engine when its cold. Ithink there a loose in the timing chain i got to check this out. a lot of smoke too in warm up.

ThX love this forum !!
Pat
Welcome to the forums. Here are the procedures for the '86 Fourtrax 350.

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts

Bill
hes not god..he's just one heck of a pic man around here !!..lmfao..he's not the only one that knows these machines !..lol.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Between his pics and your paintings, you guys could be an awesome team!

·
Super Moderator
38,618 Posts
Between his pics and your paintings, you guys could be an awesome team!
lmao....yeah..i told him here awhile back..we two should open up our own biss..lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a honda 1989 trx 300 2 wheel drive that hasn't run correctly for a long time so I dug into it and got looking at the timing and could tell it was off. When the "t" mark on the flywheel is lined up, the 2 lines on the cam sprocket don't line up with the top surface of the cylinder head it's about 1/8" off. Any solutions to this problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts