Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1986 350d from an older gentleman that hadn't ran it in a couple years. Put a battery in it and cranked right up. Ran it a while and ran great Choke cable,brake cables froze up and fuel pump leaking a little. So I parked it and ordered parts. Replaced everything, started drove it a few minutes and just quit. Wouldn't start back. Then after a while started again. Ran a few minutes and quit. Replaced spark plug, no better. Getting fire and gas, still won't start. Won't even start on starting fluid. Set for a few days, fired right up. Ran a few minutes and quit. Any ideas what's going on here? New to the forum and appreciate any help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Welcome
First you have to have the service manual to perform troubleshooting; you can find the electronic service manual and parts links in my signature block below.

You say you have fire and fuel? If it won’t start on starting fluid then it could be several things. Mainly the stator or CDI. Check the resistance values for the exciter coil and pulse generator. Are you getting a neutral light? Does the oil light come on momentarily and then go off?

Did you buy an OEM fuel pump? You will have endless problems fitting Aftermarket parts. Don’t buy them. More than likely your carb needs a rebuild. Check my thread TRX350A Restoration

There’s no 86 D model; know that of the models below not all parts interchange—luckily the fuel pump and other parts you purchased are.
86-87 TRX350A Fourtrax
87 TRX350D Foreman
88-89-93 TRX350D Foreman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on 350a and 350d.
Oil light does come on momentarily.
Neutral light sometimes comes on other times not. Could this be a problem? Thanks for the links to the service manual and all the help I can get

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Yes intermittent neutral light is definitely a problem. There is a change switch harness that connects into the lower right side case oil temp sensor reverse and neutral switches and terminates under the right plastic side cover. These connectors are often loose dirty and or broken and faults will inhibit ignition

the light bulb and gear indicator harness connections can be faulty too. But these do not inhibit ignition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, going to check that now. If I am correct that is the 4 wires comes from the bottom of engine and connects around the top of the kick start. I unhooked them when I replaced the gas lines. I did reconnect them but may not be getting connection all the time.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Roger that
Turn on ignition and wiggle that neutral wire at the switch connector —it’s the one with the plastic holder—i bet you’ll get a steady neutral light.

Let us know what you find

I had to replace all the connectors on my harness

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Roger that
Turn on ignition and wiggle that neutral wire at the switch connector —it’s the one with the plastic holder—i bet you’ll get a steady neutral light.

Let us know what you find

I had to replace all the connectors on my harness —see where mine has an odd shape? The wire was broken inside the insulation but you can’t tell by looking. View attachment 148947

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced the connectors, got stead neutral light. Fired right up. Gas coming out of over flow tube from bottom of carb bowl. Took it apart and cleaned it out. Still over flowing. Will order rebuild kit and see what happens. Neutral light still going steady. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
clean out you tank and fuel pump , that is most likely why your over flowing the carb , pieces of crystalized gas are getting stuck in float neddle valve , if you rebuild the carb and don't clean out the source then it is going to happen again

·
Registered
118 Posts
@MEATHEAD01 - After having done (2) major rebuilds, I'll tell you some key tips based on what you're describing:
  • Replace your fuel pump and fuel filter with the OEM parts
  • Order the OEM carburetor kit (gaskets and jets) - not the Shindy one. Replace with that and be sure to use good quality Carb Cleaner / fine brushes when cleaning out the carb. Look for gunk / build up and go aggressive at it.
  • Consider replacing the actual float and valve which you can also order.
Complete parts list I'd recommend in your case:
  • 16710-HA7-672 (Fuel Pump)
  • 16900-HA7-671 (Fuel Filter)
  • 16010-HA0-681 (Carburetor Gasket Set)
  • 16013-HN5-671 (Float Set)
  • 16155-413-751 (Float Valve)
  • 99103-MR4-0350 (Slow Jet)
  • 99101-ZV5-1000 (Main Jet)
Make sure you take a flat-head to your float valve screw-in/out and make sure she's tight after you seat the new O-Ring on her via the Gasket Set noted above.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts