Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 1986 Honda trx350 that is running rich (oem carb). It pumps out black smoke till warmed up then if reved when warmed up it pumps black smoke out. It idles normally for a bit then shuts off after a bit and noticed that it pops when reving down. I’ve messed with the screw hanging below the carb but it hasn’t made a bit difference.

I have no experience rebuilding or tuning carbs only cleaning them. The previous owner told me that he had drilled out the carb at one time and I think put a bigger jet in but not really sure.

Is there are any good aftermarket carbs that I could buy? Or should I find a way to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts
do not use or even think about after market carbs for that atv !. if your old oem carb has been drilled out ?, your best bet is look for a oem used carb, and rebuild it with a shindy carb kit. AGAIN...DO NOT USE ANY AFTER MARKET CARBS ON THAT ATV !!!.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Maybe he didn’t do anything to it but drill the replaceable jet.

You definitely want a Keihin QA03A that’s the oem for it. They are available on fleabay just not cheap–i bought one for $80 and after putting a $40 starter valve, $25 baffle and $25 rebuild kit in it i installed on my project 86.

The main jet is a 142, but i put 138.5 in mine and the high altitude jet is a 132? I run borderline high altitude so i think it helps.
so you should take your carb apart and see whazzup. Get a rebuild kit and a starter valve we’ll help you thru it—the Shindy kit comes with all new jets.

If the PO drilled anything on the carb itself , you can still keep it for parts.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do not use or even think about after market carbs for that atv !. if your old oem carb has been drilled out ?, your best bet is look for a oem used carb, and rebuild it with a shindy carb kit. AGAIN...DO NOT USE ANY AFTER MARKET CARBS ON THAT ATV !!!.

You definitely want a Keihin QA03A that’s the oem for it. They are available on fleabay just not cheap–i bought one for $80 and after putting a $40 starter valve, $25 baffle and $25 rebuild kit in it i installed on my project 86.

The main jet is a 142, but i put 138.5 in mine and the high altitude jet is a 132? I run borderline high altitude so i think it helps.
so you should take your carb apart and see whazzup. Get a rebuild kit and a starter valve we’ll help you thru it—the Shindy kit comes with all new jets.

If the PO drilled anything on the carb itself , you can still keep it for parts.
Thanks for the quick responses,

I looked back in my messages and I still have the PO added, asked him what he drilled out and he said it was the choke slide, said it seized and he had to free it up. So does that mean I’m good then?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
You will have to pull the starter jet to see if it’s too loose in the bore.

In a warm engine When you flip the choke ON what happens? Nothing? It dies?

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts

I think he was talking about just drilling the choke enrichment valve, not the bore ?.

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts

I looked back in my messages and I still have the PO added, asked him what he drilled out and he said it was the choke slide, said it seized and he had to free it up. So does that mean I’m good then?
if it was just the enrichment valve, and not the bore itself ?, then yes, you are good to use that carb with a rebuild kit, you will how ever need to purchase a new choke enrichment valve if you do not have a good valve ?.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

if it was just the enrichment valve, and not the bore itself ?, then yes, you are good to use that carb with a rebuild kit, you will how ever need to purchase a new choke enrichment valve if you do not have a good valve ?.
How could I check if I need a new enrichment valve, I know the choke works fine but the PO said it was hard to get the carb set right after he drilled the choke to free it up. He also said something about somebody at his work removing the jets but said nothing about drilling them.

I can’t find a shindy rebuild kit, if I can find one I’ll buy it then start screwing with the carb once I get the kit.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Here are some ideas, but yes you will have to disassemble the carb to ensure it is clean and see if it’s been molested.

It would be best if you had the Shindy rebuild kit because it contains new jets. the gasket kit shown contains the passage plug. You may need a new starter valve.

Last pic is of two junked carbs I bought and rebuilt for the practice. You should try it. I think I bought one for $25.

Before you start. Do you have the service manual? You have to set up the carb with the pilot screw like 1.75 turns from seated. Ensure you initially take all the slack out of the throttle cable. Reply back when you have read the service manual on this task.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some ideas, but yes you will have to disassemble the carb to ensure it is clean and see if it’s been molested.

It would be best if you had the Shindy rebuild kit because it contains new jets. the gasket kit shown contains the passage plug. You may need a new starter valve.

Last pic is of two junked carbs I bought and rebuilt for the practice. You should try it. I think I bought one for $25.

Before you start. Do you have the service manual? You have to set up the carb with the pilot screw like 1.75 turns from seated. Ensure you initially take all the slack out of the throttle cable. Reply back when you have read the service manual on this task.
Buy this book!
Best seller; classic read lol
When I need the manual I just go on manual.lib and find the 86-87 Honda manual, would be nice to have the manual though.

I found a few carb rebuild kits from other brands don’t know if they are any good. I found a few shindy rebuild kits but they are in the us (I’m in Canada) and it would take a few months before I would get it.

The pictures below are some of the other rebuild kits I found, the carb installed and the black smoke coming from the exhaust when reving very high (few of my buddies asked if it was a diesel lol)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts

Buy this book!
When I need the manual I just go on manual.lib and find the 86-87 Honda manual, would be nice to have the manual though.

I found a few carb rebuild kits from other brands don’t know if they are any good. I found a few shindy rebuild kits but they are in the us (I’m in Canada) and it would take a few months before I would get it.

The pictures below are some of the other rebuild kits I found, the carb installed and the black smoke coming from the exhaust when reving very high (few of my buddies asked if it was a diesel lol)
I see a ton of oil all over that carb and engine, you got an oil leak somewhere ???.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I used a Quadboss kit on my first rebuild–it works and includes the passage plug.

I have a K&L kit in the latest one because i got it delivered for $1.98. But i had to buy the gasket kit too because no plug.

I think you need to retune the carb and replace the starter valve. Clean the plug and set the valves

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Buy this book!

I see a ton of oil all over that carb and engine, you got an oil leak somewhere ???.
Yeah oil leaking from the rocker screws if that’s what they’re called

·
Super Moderator
36,509 Posts

rocker shafts. they have a o-ring on the slotted ends. royal pain to replace !..lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Buy this book!

rocker shafts. they have a o-ring on the slotted ends. royal pain to replace !..lol.
Yeah I looked at the schematics and looked at where the o rings are, don’t even want to attempt it.

At this point I’m not sure what To do? Should I buy a rebuild kit and if so which one? Or should I clean and retune the carb? (I’ve never touched the carb in the 5 years I have had it)

Also the top end was rebuild (dont know if it was bored) a while back due to somebody placing the oil filter backwards

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
The quadboss kit has a passage plug but not a needle seat
The K&L kit has a needle seat but not a passage plug

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
But the shindy comes with everything?! If so I’ll order it and rebuild it when it gets here.
No the Shindy does not have the pp you would also need the gasket kit

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

But the shindy comes with everything?! If so I’ll order it and rebuild it when it gets here.
No the Shindy does not have the pp you would also need the gasket kit
When I’m not busy I’ll just rip the carb apart and see what condition it’s in before I order anything. hopefully it’s not destroyed but I’ll send pics if I’m not sure about something.

Thanks for your help so far!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts