Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine is strictly a rider. It's much happier in the mud, snow, water, and my personal favorite ice.

I saved it from the hands of a trailer queen lover. He power washed it every day. Rode it once a week (on asphalt). And stored it in a climate controlled garage.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'd leave it at what you're doing. If you do a full resto, you risk breaking something... Not like I know about breaking something when I took my 85 250 apart.
Anyway, I think that when your done with what you are doing to it now, you won't have to worry about it as much. If you do a full resto, you have to watch out for boulders, and sticks, and stuff like that. I'm sure you will do a great job with it either way.
Make sure you check the front diff fluid. Mine has never been filled. I broke 3 front driveshafts in half. Learned my lesson real quick.

Yea I agree it's not worth doing a frame off restoration right now and I also just don't have the time for that. I did buy a new seat on eBay yesterday and am gonna sell my old one, all the parts came in except the new CDI and the new jets (which I really wish got here today) so I'm gonna test if it was the fan control unit by changing just that and see if it fixes it, if not I'm returning it.

I took all the racks and bumpers off yesterday and pressure washed them in prep for primer today and paint tomorrow, I also removed all the plastics and it's so dirty around the frame I wanna pressure wash it but am worried about sensitive electronics and all that, I may put the battery stuff in a trash bag and lightly at a low pressure, pressure wash the bike to just get some of the crud off what do you guys think?

See this is what I wanna wash off:

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Looks great!
Honestly pressure washing won't get all the grime off only takes off the loose stuff. I only pressure wash the mud layer. Watch those decals they flake off!
I used a bucket of hot water, generous amount of good quality car wash soap, some odd brushes and old bar wipes. Hand washing will get the swamp film off your ride better than anything

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Also I think if you want a spare fuel pump you should buy OEM--install the new one--and use the old as a spare. That's what I did.

I haven't yet done the same with the other vital components like fuel cut relay and CDI

I recommend you stick with Oem so there's no compromise on performance and reliability

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Looks great!
Honestly pressure washing won't get all the grime off only takes off the loose stuff. I only pressure wash the mud layer. Watch those decals they flake off!
I used a bucket of hot water, generous amount of good quality car wash soap, some odd brushes and old bar wipes. Hand washing will get the swamp film off your ride better than anything
Also I think if you want a spare fuel pump you should buy OEM--install the new one--and use the old as a spare. That's what I did.

I haven't yet done the same with the other vital components like fuel cut relay and CDI

I recommend you stick with Oem so there's no compromise on performance and reliability
I try and only buy OEM when possible so there's no concern there, I bought an OEM fan control unit and CDI which will be here Monday and all OEM gaskets and jets.

I actually ended up pressure washing it gently because I'm in CA it's all just built up dust not swampy mud stuff and it came off great:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Changed the diff fluids and engine oil yesterday along with figured out it was the battery causing it to intermittently die in gear.....I took it out and left it on a charger for a couple of days and I noticed after the initial start the neutral light was really dim and it wouldn't start unless I jump started it plus with the jump starter on it ran and shifted perfectly no dying....I guess I'll be returning the CDI I bought and probably have to keep the fan control unit I bought cause it was on eBay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know on mine the stator got some metal chunks in it and made it shut off randomly. Also the ground on the starter got loose, which caused my battery to short out. I also figured out that it doesn't like to run with a low battery, It screws up the fuel pump. because every time you give it more throttle, the generator gives the pump more voltage. So it's pulsing as you are riding. Make sure you keep your battery charged.
And the front diff fluid. Why did you put it in? I've been running mine without fluid in the front diff ever since I bought it. It makes it a solid front axle. Last time I took it to a shop they filled the front diff. The first day I rode it, I got stuck so bad, I had to pull it out with my winch. After that I never put fluid in the front diff again. I just put a couple droplets in it to keep it from getting over heated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just rode with my dad this weekend. We were in the river and he submerged his 01 yamaha big bear. It was above the handlebars. I had to pull him out. With the solid front axle it just chewed the river up. Pulled him right out and up the steep bank. Then towed him 4 miles back to the property. Imo leave the fluid out. As long as you don't pull any wheelies like me, you won't snap the driveshaft.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I know on mine the stator got some metal chunks in it and made it shut off randomly. Also the ground on the starter got loose, which caused my battery to short out. I also figured out that it doesn't like to run with a low battery, It screws up the fuel pump. because every time you give it more throttle, the generator gives the pump more voltage. So it's pulsing as you are riding. Make sure you keep your battery charged.
And the front diff fluid. Why did you put it in? I've been running mine without fluid in the front diff ever since I bought it. It makes it a solid front axle. Last time I took it to a shop they filled the front diff. The first day I rode it, I got stuck so bad, I had to pull it out with my winch. After that I never put fluid in the front diff again. I just put a couple droplets in it to keep it from getting over heated.

Just rode with my dad this weekend. We were in the river and he submerged his 01 yamaha big bear. It was above the handlebars. I had to pull him out. With the solid front axle it just chewed the river up. Pulled him right out and up the steep bank. Then towed him 4 miles back to the property. Imo leave the fluid out. As long as you don't pull any wheelies like me, you won't snap the driveshaft.

I used Honda 80w gear oil, I wouldn't run no fluid that's just gonna damage the whole front diff and I don't want that, I don't mud my 350 as I live in CA and water is basically non-existent lol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
So I was wrong it wasn't just the battery despite it working yesterday.....today I went to test ride it and sure enough it died every time I put it in gear...I took the new cdi out of the package and plugged it in and there it was, it ran perfectly!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Took her out for a 20 mile ride on a nice local trail:

Divide Peak OHV by Jim Bob Barnett, on Flickr

Unfortunately the local dirtbike crowd likes to build these obstacles so ATV's can't use the trail, this was the first of probably 20 they set up, I spent a lot of the day breaking them down and throwing the rocks over the side so they can't be set up again....

Moved this little gopher snake off the trail:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to add to the cdi conversation....... I fount that wiggling the connectors on mine killed the engine instantly. So I checked and found a bad prong on one plug, fixed it and she ran great for a good long ride. When I went out a couple days later to back it out of the shed it died instantly when put in gear. I'm ordering a cdi today.

·
Premium Member
12,286 Posts
Hey Farmer , welcome to the forums , try some dielectric grease in your plugs ------- it that your goat in your aviator ------ I had 10 pet goats a few years back , fun the watch , now my neighbor has a bunch , I let him pay for feeding them and I still get to watch them

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Farmer , welcome to the forums , try some dielectric grease in your plugs ------- it that your goat in your aviator ------ I had 10 pet goats a few years back , fun the watch , now my neighbor has a bunch , I let him pay for feeding them and I still get to watch them
Hey thanks! Yeah I had dielectric grease in there when I thought I had it fixed by fixing the bad plug. I put that grease on everything!

That was one of our older pygmies. He got bloat and kicked it. We loved having them around to clean up after the cattle but got tired of fighting those little bastards. They were named after the magicians Penn and Teller because they could get out of everything we put them in.

It's just the same old avi I have used on all the forums so that guys can recognize me and know who they're talking to.

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
I use krylon silver paint on all my rims and engines. wally world sells it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I believe the oem rim paint is import magnesium .... I never had any luck locating any in a spray can.... I went with the closest match plasti dip bright aluminum rubber coating it's held up REAL good!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
10 Participants
PatrickB
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing