Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding my bike last weekend and it just cut off. I have had fuel pump issues (been using the cheap-o's) so I assumed it was that. I pulled the outbound line off the pump and no fuel would come out while cranking. I pulled the pump off and hit it with 12 volts and it pumped fine. I put the pump back on, pulled wires back to my battery and the pump worked fine, however the bike still wouldn't start. I pulled the drain plug out of the carb, and re-did this and the pump filled the carb bowl back up (off the battery). I pull off the fuel cut relay but I have no idea how to check it. I have tried to "jump it" but no luck in getting the pump to run.

The bike has ran fine prior to this, started very easily. I am not the best electrical debugger so any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was riding my bike last weekend and it just cut off. I have had fuel pump issues (been using the cheap-o's) so I assumed it was that. I pulled the outbound line off the pump and no fuel would come out while cranking. I pulled the pump off and hit it with 12 volts and it pumped fine. I put the pump back on, pulled wires back to my battery and the pump worked fine, however the bike still wouldn't start. I pulled the drain plug out of the carb, and re-did this and the pump filled the carb bowl back up (off the battery). I pull off the fuel cut relay but I have no idea how to check it. I have tried to "jump it" but no luck in getting the pump to run.

The bike has ran fine prior to this, started very easily. I am not the best electrical debugger so any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks
I went back and check the voltage at the pump. While cranking I am not getting 12Vs. I am assuming I should be, correct? So this leads me to the Fuel Cut Relay?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, so I have an update..I think I am fighting two issues. I know it sounds crazy but I can't figure out how they would be connected... Since I have owned the bike I have had fuel pump issues. I am starting to think it was intermediately the fuel cut relay going bad and now I have a "new" issue with no spark. Here is my current diagnosis:

Fuel Pump - Fuel pump does not receive 12V when using the ignition switch. I have checked the switch, kill switch, etc.. all checked out OK. I jumped the fuel cut relay and bam! Got twelve volts at the pump itself. I re-install the fuel cut relay, turn over the engine = 0 volts...

No Spark - pulled the harness from the CDI and have no resistance to the pulse generator. This is with the switch off. I went back to the pulse generator wires (next to the kick starter), still no resistance. So I am assuming the pulse generator is NG.

I have not checked the reg/rec but plan to do so tomorrow. Not 100% the purpose of this device.

1) Does the fuel cut relay get its signal from the CDI?
2) Is there any other checks I need to make for the pulse generator?
3) Is there anyway these two items are connected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts