Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Jared and I’m new here .
I haven’t had atv since 2010 and it was a 92 Suzuki 250cc quad runner 2x4. Two days ago I bought a 250cc Yamaha bear tracker for $300 cad and ended being an really big pos but was offered $440 for it so we let her go. My plan was to fix it over the winter but that never happened. Then last night my friend said “ let’s see what buddy will do on his Honda “ now I really liked my friend’s father’s honda fourtrax 250cc 2x4 . I just think a 250 is a good size if you just want to Cruze . When we got to the other guys house I was expecting an beat up Honda 2x4 like everything else he sells, but to my surprise it was a like new 4x4 . Now sadly buddy is a bad drunk who lets everything go for cheap when he’s not sober. He originally wanted $1500 cad but emailed my friend for Jared $900. So I ended up with this for $900cad pro $700 usd . Everything works as should but it doesn’t smoke a bit when first started,but I wonder if that’s because buddy had no where to actually drive it for any speed. Because once it ran for a few minutes it stopped smoking. I will upload pictures in a bit . It is not allowing me to on this app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Very nice quad! 86 TRX350A!
Download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below.
Only use wet clutch motor oil and don’t put the oil filter in backwards—no oil will pump through!
I see Very worn Kenda Bear Claws—good tires. Some missing parts but at least it’s running

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Download the service manual and check parts links in my signature block below.
Only use wet clutch motor oil and don’t put the oil filter in backwards—no oil will pump through!
I see Very worn Kenda Bear Claws—good tires. Some missing parts but at least it’s running
Good info to know and how many parts are missing?

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Toolbox lid; louvers
Maybe battery box bolts
check the parts links in my signature block below—Rocky Mountain atv; Partzilla

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Tomorrow I start the process of locating the registration paperwork.I can track it back to four different owners and no one has the paperwork. Then after that register it with the atv federation so I can “legally use it on the trails”

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Thanks yes it was my 2018-2020 restoration project. I like the base model look of it—only option is the rear rack.
I have another loaded down with options

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had her out for spin today only for it to stall and refused to start such a pain but thankfully it was just because the spark plug boot fell off! Got it going and the shifter peg stripped and I was stuck in neutral but we got that fixed. My friendsaid he had a windshield thing in the old barn and happened to be Honda windshield that had the headlight hole covered by a plastic license plate . When we got the gear shift fixed we accidentally knocked it in gear and ran over my foot. Taking it out of the barn I slipped and the machine rolled over to of me but thankfully the battery was dead lol, but now my leg hurts again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done playing for the day . A little over an hour of run time and getting stuck in the snow but man it was fun. Works a lot better with the spark plug boot on lol.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Your battery was dead? Don’t run it too long without a good battery, you risk burning up the stator and rec/reg—those parts will keep trying to charge a battery that won’t take a charge.

you have wheel spacers? I just noticed the wheel offsets are really off. Gives you a wider stance lol. I bought a set of oem stock wheels and tires at a local auction for $100–lucky!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your battery was dead? Don’t run it too long without a good battery, you risk burning up the stator and rec/reg—those parts will keep trying to charge a battery that won’t take a charge.

you have wheel spacers? I just noticed the wheel offsets are really off. Gives you a wider stance lol. I bought a set of oem stock wheels and tires at a local auction for $100–lucky!
Oh and wheel spacers?

·
Registered
ct90/vf1100c
26 Posts
I think you might have Rancher wheels on it
See how the Wheel doesn’t cover the brake hub

WARNING! IF you have the Rancher 11 inch wheels on the back, you will tear up the splines on the side shaft that drives the front wheels. This model quad must have 11 inch wheels on the front and the back. I have seen this too many times when I worked as a tech.

Good call Goober! Rancher uses 24X8-12 on front and 24X9-11 on the back.

front wheel should be:
TIRE, RR. (24X9.00-11) (AT502) (OHTSU)
42710-HA7-671 42710-HA7-673
Not necessarily a OHTSU but equiv.

rear wheel should be:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WARNING! IF you have the Rancher 11 inch wheels on the back, you will tear up the splines on the side shaft that drives the front wheels. This model quad must have 11 inch wheels on the front and the back. I have seen this too many times when I worked as a tech.

Good call Goober! Rancher uses 24X8-12 on front and 24X9-11 on the back.

front wheel should be:

rear wheel should be:
I believe they both are 11

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Ok on the 11s. Yeah what sore_fingers is saying—look at your wheel clearances for your driveline and brake line components.
The wrong offsets can result in the inside of the wheel and the tire rubbing on stuff. Often but not always you can see rub marks on the wheel/tire or especially on the rubber brake hose, frame and driveline components

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok on the 11s. Yeah what sore_fingers is saying—look at your wheel clearances for your driveline and brake line components.
The wrong offsets can result in the inside of the wheel and the tire rubbing on stuff. Often but not always you can see rub marks on the wheel/tire or especially on the rubber brake hose, frame and driveline components
Oh ok I get it now. I'll check the next time I'm at my friend's place. On the progress on getting the ownership papers, I got my bill of sales, got my pictures taken just needs to be printed, located the vin.
I did a vin search online and it came up as the right model and year. Also did a check on the rcp vin check and didn't come back as stolen. So thats a relief. So hopefully on tomorrow I will be able to get to the motor vehicle branch and give them the information to send off to highway safety and hopefully the aprove of the bike and mail me ownership paperwork.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts