Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this thing has been being a pain for quite a while now. Took the carb off because it was not idling. Rebuilt the carb with a cheap kit. After that it would idle but not run well. It would run fairly good but when you would goose the throttle good it would bog down and want to die. Then suddenly stopped starting. Started doing some in-depth research and came to find out that I made some mistakes when I rebuilt it. So I ordered a high quality kit and started over. I am 100% sure that the carb is put together right. I followed videos on YouTube and forums and also the service manual. So now it runs very good and idles extremely well. But when you goose the throttle it wants to die and spits gas out the back of the carb. I have tried many different adjustments to the mixture screw and nothing seems to help. It can be a stock setting or anywhere else and it still does it. Even with the screw all the way in it still bogs when gases hard. If you gentle push the throttle it revs up just fine and sounds great. I have had the carb apart so many times I think I could do it in my sleep. It has a new plug. Any suggestions? I tried many different mixture screw adjustments 1-1/2 turns out, 1 turn out, all the way in, nothing seems to make any difference.

·
Registered
259 Posts
did you try with the air filter on or with the choke partway on? i had one that i worked on that would do the same thing but i just rode it slow with the choke partway on and it fixed itself check make sure the fuel line isnt pluged and are they stock size jets?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, confirmed that the jets are stock size. Discovered that if I put the choke all the way on at idle and then goose it it doesn’t bog; sounds rich when it idles with choke but revs up fine. Can someone who understands carbs better than me explain what this means? I also installed the air box and filter to see if that would make any difference and it does not. Also tried turning the mixture screw way out and that didn’t seem to help if any thing it just made it worse. So to me the problem would seem that it’s running to rich but then that doesn’t make any sense why when you engage the choke it then revs fine. Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Adjusted the needle in both directions and didn’t make a difference.
It didn’t do this before it took it apart. When I took it apart I found that the butterfly was opening before the slide. So I bent the little tab till they opened at the same time just like the manual states. Do you think that might be the reason it wants to big? Do these bikes just do that? It only does it from idle like if you are at half throttle and goose it it will work great. It’s only at idle that it bogs if given gas to quickly. Am I just being to picky? Any help even wild guesses are appreciated at this point 😂.

·
Registered
259 Posts
it is not supposed to bog and if i remember on the slide of some fourwheelers the little needle on the slide is adjustble there is a little tiny c clip if you push the needle out the top of the slide then you can move that snap ring to a different slot if you move the snap ring down thats more fuel. but the screw is supposed to make a defferance sometimes if the carb isnt cleaned good enogh the adjustment screws wont work; but you should see if that slide needle is adjustble

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is not supposed to bog and if i remember on the slide of some fourwheelers the little needle on the slide is adjustble there is a little tiny c clip if you push the needle out the top of the slide then you can move that snap ring to a different slot if you move the snap ring down thats more fuel. but the screw is supposed to make a defferance sometimes if the carb isnt cleaned good enogh the adjustment screws wont work; but you should see if that slide needle is adjustble
I tried exactly what you said and the needle is adjustable but it also doesn’t seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The carb has been cleaned three times and is spotless. The new jets are all the proper size. The mixture screw has the correct little o ring and little washer under it. It does not have a fuel pump. I think I may try the needle adjustments again.
What do you think about what I said about the throttle synchronization?(the little tab)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question I have is do you think it is getting to much fuel or not enough? It spits fuel out the back of the carb which would seem like to much fuel but then if you use the choke it doesn’t bog so idk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The butterfly and slide are synchronized. I only know of two adjustment screws: the mixture screw and the idle speed screw. Are there others? It still bogs with the air filter on. With full choke it does not bog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Took the carb totally apart again and spray all the passages out with compressed air and carb cleaner. Set everything to stock. Seems about the same.
Bicycle part Motor vehicle Personal protective equipment Nickel Metal

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Rim

Motor vehicle Rim Engineering Machine Auto part

Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part

Finger Wood Gadget Electronic component Electronic engineering

Camera Cameras & optics Wood Machine Film camera

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wood

Automotive tire Finger Thumb Gas Engineering

Plastic bottle Tableware Audio equipment Water bottle Engineering

These jet numbers match what came out of the carb when it was rebuilt. Still bogs. I tried adjusting the needle again no change. If no one has any more suggestions I’m just going to put it together tomorrow and just live with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i think i have herd of the slide wearing enogh to let air suck past it. maybe it can be an intake leak and not a carb issue all this time i would check the intake and all that sort of stuff for broken or dry rotted gaskets or rubber.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
everything looks like normal i will have to do some more reserch. did it it bog before rebuild?
No it didn’t bog before the rebuild. I’ll check intake stuff. I have been doing all this testing with the air filter off because it’s so hard to get to the screws and when I put it on it didn’t make any difference.
Man, do you run this whole site by yourself? Lol. Where did everyone else go😂

1 - 20 of 28 Posts