Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin has a 1986 fourtrax 350 4x4 that is no longer running. For starters, the starter is making a major grinding noise when using the electric start. So I ordered the part needed to fix that. But my question is, is there any way to start working out what's wrong with it with just using the kick starter? I've read the fuel pump,spark plug, full battery, cdi, and possibly stater are all pretty common on these. Just looking for someone that has had something like this going on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Welcome! You've come to the right place- there are numerous members here who are extremely versed in the Foreman 350. They'll be along sooner or later. They have enough experience to help deal with anything you'll run in to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thank you. And I just checked and I have no spark, a full battery and so now am I looking at a new C D I box?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Awesome thank you. And I just checked and I have no spark, a full battery and so now am I looking at a new C D I box?

Not for sure, grab a manual eliminate simple stuff, is your natural light on? I am not familiar with your bike but don't try to throw parts at it, a lot parts can be tested prior to replacement, could be a broken wire bad connection. A manual will show you how to troubleshoot but even the manual can jump to quickly to order parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
your year model MUST HAVE A BATTERY IN IT, AND FULLY CHARGED TO FIRE THE SPARK PLUG !. neutral light must be on. ignition switch must be in good working order start with these to check, then update us on what and where your at for progress ?.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
as for the starter grinding ?, is the correct gasket on the starter cover ?. transfer gears all good ?, any missing teeth ?. one-way starter bearing in good working order ?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as for the starter grinding ?, is the correct gasket on the starter cover ?. transfer gears all good ?, any missing teeth ?. one-way starter bearing in good working order ?.

I'm replacing the one way bearing in the starter, that should be here Friday. But as of right now I have a fully charged battery, neutral light comes on. I put a new spark plug in and still nothing. Have to go pick of my ohms reader in a bit to start testing whatever you guys think I should

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

I'm replacing the one way bearing in the starter, that should be here Friday. But as of right now I have a fully charged battery, neutral light comes on. I put a new spark plug in and still nothing. Have to go pick of my ohms reader in a bit to start testing whatever you guys think I should

test the stator, if that's good ?, wrap on the c.d.i. while cranking it over, watch for spark on plug. kill switch in the middle ?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

test the stator, if that's good ?, wrap on the c.d.i. while cranking it over, watch for spark on plug. kill switch in the middle ?.

How do I go about testing the stator and location? Switch is in the middle. I'll have to have some one come give me a hand to tap on the Cdi kick start it and look for spark

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

How do I go about testing the stator and location? Switch is in the middle. I'll have to have some one come give me a hand to tap on the Cdi kick start it and look for spark

under seat, right side, green connector, unplug it, stator side, ohm all 3 yellow wires, then ohm to ground. specs are in service manual, not sure if you can get this from our site any more ?. I look for .003-.007, anything higher than .009 ?, means stator is bad, or any number when you ohm to ground, means open short in stator.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

under seat, right side, green connector, unplug it, stator side, ohm all 3 yellow wires, then ohm to ground. specs are in service manual, not sure if you can get this from our site any more ?. I look for .003-.007, anything higher than .009 ?, means stator is bad, or any number when you ohm to ground, means open short in stator.

This is what I ended up with, all 3 wires were abou .113

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

your testing it wrong, lol. black lead and red lead to each yellow wire, see results, then red lead on one yellow at a time, and black lead stays on ground

Reactions: flashflood394

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

your testing it wrong, lol. black lead and red lead to each yellow wire, see results, then red lead on one yellow at a time, and black lead stays on ground

I'm not getting any reading like that, either way

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts

are you testing wire harness side ?, or stator side ?, it has to be stator side.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

are you testing wire harness side ?, or stator side ?, it has to be stator side.

Do you know the name or part number for this gear by chance, I appreciate all the advice! Thank you

1 - 20 of 26 Posts