Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new here and I have an older 86. For several years now the four wheeler has had some noise coming from the engine but we just use it on a farm so we didn't pay much attention to it. A few months ago it became worse and will not run now. I removed the valve cover and it seems that it has jumped 1 tooth based on the setting the crank to the "T" mark and the timing marks on the camshaft. The chain is quite loose on the camshaft sprocket. Through my investigation I removed the timing chain tensioner and it was fully retracted (within the body of the tensioner), it was not extended at all. I can take the bolt out of the back and use the screw force the tensioner out, but other than that it won't move. To me, this doesn't seem correct and I would think the tension would extend out if there was no force pressing against it. I have a manual for the bike and I have searched the web but I can't seem to find anything that explains how it works. Before I go any further and start disassembly the engine I would like to understand how this mechanism works usually.

Does anyone know how this tensioner works normally?
Should the tensioner extend out fully if a force is not present?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of the tensioner. This was the position when I removed it from the bike. I think it should have been extended out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,998 Posts
You need a new timing chain.. OEM or DID are you best options. Don't cheap out and buy an Amazon/eBay China cheapy, you'll regret it!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Sam, thanks for the reply but that’s not related to my question. Do you know how the tensioner works?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're right, it should have been extended out. No good! REPLACE! There's a ratcheting system that has failed - it should automatically tighten.

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
Danier , ---- the tensioner is spring loaded , if you were to take it out the jug , let it spring into the loaded position and stick it back into the jug , then you should have at least 1/4 -3/8 gap , if it goes all the way in flush with the block then the timing chain is worn out

·
Premium Member
12,368 Posts
there is a screw in the end of the tensioner , usually 8MM , take it out , put a small flat head screw driver into the hole , turn the driver and the spring load will retract , let it go and it should snap back out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts