Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the starter clutch on a honda 350 fourtrax? I have a 1986 and I am almost certain that it is my starter roblem. I have the service manual, but would love to hear from someone who actually has done this procedure. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
yep..replaced a few of them !. your in luck..as honda still sells that one-way clutch bearing..better hurry though !..they may stop in the next 5 min's !..lmfao. you need to remove the left side cover..which means..the middle drive shaft has to come off first, as well as the front transfer bearing carrier if i remember right ?..once these are off ?..remove the starter gear cover..pull the starter transfer gears out..then drain your oil..orrrr..tilt the atv to about 45 degree's..so all the oil is on the right side of the motor..this saves you the time from draining the oil !. once all of these parts are removed..just unhook the breather tube on the lower right back side of the engine case....you can unplug the stator connector...or leave it plugged up..and just pull the cover off enough to set it up out of the way..it's best to just remove it off all the way. now you need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. once the flywheel is off the crank..your home free..well..sorta !..lol. the one-way bearing is on the backside of the flywheel..it's held together from the front inside of the flywheel with about 5 or 6 torx bit's. you need a hammer impact driver to remove these..as they are put in pretty tight with loctite...but a reg torx on a socket will remove them..but a hammer driver makes it easier if you ask me !..lol. once all of these are removed ?..the backside part will come off..this is where your one-way bearing for your starter is held into place. when you get ready to install that new one-way bearing ?..MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL IT FACING THE RIGHT WAY !!!..sooooooooo..pay attention as to how the old one comes out ??..so you will know which way the new one goes back in !!!. then just put it all back together like you took it apart, simple to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks shadetree!
I plan on doing this in the winter when I have more time, since I dont have a flywheel puller, what kind or size should I pick up? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
Thanks shadetree!
I plan on doing this in the winter when I have more time, since I dont have a flywheel puller, what kind or size should I pick up? Thank you
here ya go. 1986 1987 Honda TRX350 TRX 350 4x4 Motion Pro Flywheel Puller | eBay , if you happen to have an old school trx250 rear axle laying around ??..the threads are the same as this puller !..lol..all you would need to do..is screw on a castle nut on the end..then twist it into the flywheel threads..then use a air impact driver with the right size socket on it ?..and the axle will pop the flywheel right off !.

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
you can also pick up a large bolt from just about any hardware store...with those same threads and pitch ?..then just use an air impact to screw it in...and pop the flywheel off. the bolt and threads will be metric !!!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone replaced the starter clutch on a honda 350 fourtrax? I have a 1986 and I am almost certain that it is my starter roblem. I have the service manual, but would love to hear from someone who actually has done this procedure. Thank you
Did you ever replace it? Do you happen to have the part number?

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
Did you ever replace it? Do you happen to have the part number?
you did not say what year model yours is ??..but I looked up one for a '89 trx350D foreman 4x4, they all are the same from 1986-1989, here is the part number --> 28126-HA7-673 .

·
Registered
8 Posts
you did not say what year model yours is ??..but I looked up one for a '89 trx350D foreman 4x4, they all are the same from 1986-1989, here is the part number --> 28126-HA7-673 .
Thanks. It's a 1986 foutrax 350. Totally lost now. I removed the cover to see the starter. Verified the starter spins. I can see the direction it turns the gears so I tried to manually turn the gears the opposite direction and it wouldn't move. Wouldn't that indicate the one way clutch is working?

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
Thanks. It's a 1986 foutrax 350. Totally lost now. I removed the cover to see the starter. Verified the starter spins. I can see the direction it turns the gears so I tried to manually turn the gears the opposite direction and it wouldn't move. Wouldn't that indicate the one way clutch is working?
if the starter is spinning the gears, but '' free spinning '' the gear behind the flywheel ?, then the starter is turning backwards !. correct starter in it ??. battery cables connected correctly ?.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if the starter is spinning the gears, but '' free spinning '' the gear behind the flywheel ?, then the starter is turning backwards !. correct starter in it ??. battery cables connected correctly ?.
Wow. Just spun the kick start and it spins the opposite direction. guess it's the wrong starter. U happen to have a part number for the starter?

·
Super Moderator
38,153 Posts
Wow. Just spun the kick start and it spins the opposite direction. guess it's the wrong starter. U happen to have a part number for the starter?
with any luck, D&B electrical may have a starter for you, I use them a lot, great starters for after market, spec when you cant buy oem now !.

·
Premium Member
4,003 Posts
Same issue for me @Raven0624; how did you rebuild yours?

my 86 TRX350A starter was rotating the right direction but poorly when i first got the quad. the brushes and brush holder became totally fried. I rebuilt it with a knockoff kit and it turns backward now.
Your starter needs to turn clockwise
I took it to a starter shop to have the commutator turned—installed OEM kit same problem.

I’ve learned quite a bit about starters this month; try going with the DB starter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts